Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RXT-X or RXT-iS

RXT-X or RXT-iS

Hi Guys, Iam looking for some feedback.... I have a bit of problem of sorts, Iam looking to purchase a new ski and have narrowed my options down to either the 09' RXT-iS or new 2010 RXT-X. Anyway apart from the obvious styling and feature differences like the "iS" Iam seriously loving the RXT-X's "looks" and Iam leaning this way... Is there any negative reports that Iam missing and should know about regarding the 09 RXT-iS??? The 2010 RXT-X is probably too new to offer very much negative feedback on yet Iam thinking?

Iam hoping you guys might be able to offer some advice that will sway me one way or the other, theres some great deals on the 09' RXT-iS at the moment making prices similar and the extra features on the iS are tempting me that way. Difficult choice hmmmmm

Cheers- Marty

+1
    Marty, welcome to the Hulk.
    I don't think the 09' RXT-iS models have had a lot of problems, at least we haven't seen evidence of that on the forum. Personally, I would hold out for the 2010 T-X, but that's just me. It's going to have an all-new hull and several members here have test ridden it with very positive comments. I will soon be in the market and testing this model myself, along with the new models from Yamaha. What type of riding do you plan on doing; offshore, lakes only, etc?

Gday, And happy to be here, looks like an awesome place to become educated about all the pros v cons of skis in general... If nothing else its seems great for a larf also

Iam surprised you say the 2010 RXT-X will have an "All New" hull compared to the 09' RXT-iS, I thought they both had the same S3 hull design??? Hmmm so whats the scoop on the hulls then... Bottom line with my choice between these two is close sticker price. The Runout deals on the 09' iS are mighty tempting and if there is no negative reports or mechanical advantages at all over 2010 models I maybe be swayed toward the 09' iS as the added "Standard iS" features over the 2010 RXT-X would be nice to have, No doubt!

Like I said the 2010 RXT-X is a "looker" and has me drooling big time...
    Its obvious the RXT-X lacks some of the creature comfort features, I have not ridden either ski side by side first hand, nor will I likely have the chance too either prior to purchase hence doing the homework and asking the questions.

Most of my riding will be bay and open water (ocean) the iS appeals for its "apparent" softer ride over the boat wakes and ocean swell (not wave jumping). How much of a gimic is the "iS" is it really that much better "softer" a ride??? is the extra weight pay off worth it given purchase price would be similar??

Oh yeah, whats the scoop on replacing the SC washers, this was standard practice it seems on earlier model Doo's is it still recommended for the 09 and 2010?

Cheers- Marty

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFX View Post
    Iam surprised you say the 2010 RXT-X will have an "All New" hull compared to the 09' RXT-iS, I thought they both had the same S3 hull design??? Hmmm so whats the scoop on the hulls then...
    They are not the same.
    The 09 iS model has a two-part hull with a suspension system built into the upper deck; it actually raises up a few inches when you start the engine, and is designed to give a better ride in the chop. The 2010 RXT-X is similar but it does not have the suspension system, so it's actually a new hull design that has never been used before... it offers much more storage than the iS models and it replaces the 2009 RXT-X hull. You can read more about the new models here:
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105736

Oh yeah, whats the scoop on replacing the SC washers, this was standard practice it seems on earlier model Doo's is it still recommended for the 09 and 2010?
    I think the new supercharger design has greatly reduced the number of problems; a few of the OEM washers have failed, but nothing like the ceramics in the older models. I believe a few owners have replaced them with Riva washers just for peace of mind. Keep in mind; BRP has also changed the warranty maintenance requirements on its supercharger systems since 2008; owners are now required to have them replaced every 100 hours in order to retain their factory warranty coverage.

This new hull design thats never used before? Are you referring to just the new upper fixed deck 2010 RXT 215, RXT-X and GTX 155 models??

Ok I understand the obvious iS model difference's over the fixed hull/deck 2010 RXT-X, when you said "new hull" I was thinking you might mean "new" from the water line down. So am I correct in guessing then that the new 2010 s3 hulled models will all still have the same "lower hull" as the 09' iS models right??

+1
    Marty, during the Christmas break I was in Australia and a friend of mine had just purchased the RXT-iS.

I had an opportunity to ride it for a good few hours and I must say it was absolutley amazing. Since it was my first time riding a ski with suspension it wasn't long before I got accustomed to the ride, especially riding the choppy waters of Port Phillip Bay - great machine, wish I had the spare change to buy one right now.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks Petron hope you had fun downunder, bit of a shock to the system eh! heat instead of snow and ice for Christmas
    I was living in Southern Ontario for five years so I appreciate the warm weather more than ever nowadays... just FYI its perfect ski conditions today here in Sydney 29c and blue skies.

Have to ask has anyone on these boards ridden both the 2010 RXT-X and 09' RXT-iS it would be interesting to hear some first hand comparisons...

Iam seriously leaning toward going with a the 09' RXT-iS right now, I have yet to here any real negative comments about it...

Cheers- Marty

Thanks Petron hope you had fun downunder, bit of a shock to the system eh! heat instead of snow and ice for Christmas
    I was living in Southern Ontario for five years so I appreciate the warm weather more than ever nowadays... just FYI its perfect ski conditions today here in Sydney 29c and blue skies.

Have to ask has anyone on these boards ridden both the 2010 RXT-X and 09' RXT-iS it would be interesting to hear some first hand comparisons...

Iam seriously leaning toward going with a the 09' RXT-iS right now, I have yet to here any real negative comments about it...

Cheers- Marty
    I own a 09RXT IS and its a good PWC! Very comfortable and responsive! You will like it if you are into that kind ride....!

+1
    Ok I understand the obvious iS model difference's over the fixed hull/deck 2010 RXT-X, when you said "new hull" I was thinking you might mean "new" from the water line down. So am I correct in guessing then that the new 2010 s3 hulled models will all still have the same "lower hull" as the 09' iS models right??
    Yes; I think the bottom section is going to be the same or very close; but there are some differences in the two models.

One thing I may have been wrong on is the storage; according to the Sea-Doo site the iS has more, but according to the downloadable PDF here on Green Hulk at the link I provided above, the T-X has far more (52 gallons? that may be a typo). Anyway, here is the info from Sea-Doo's site below, the thing that jumps out at me is the T-X's much better power to weight ratio...

RXT-X 260
    Height 46.5" (118.1 cm)
    Weight (dry) 855 lbs (388 kg)
    Fuel Capacity 15.9 gallons (60 liters)
    Storage Capacity 13.7 gallons (52 liters)

RXT iS 260
    Height 50.3" (127.7 cm)
    Weight (dry) 970 lbs (441 kg)
    Fuel Capacity 18.6 gallons (70 liters)
    Storage Capacity 16.4 gallons (62 liters)

Yes the weight difference betwen the two on paper at least could be a deciding factor.... that said just how would the weight variation truly effect performance and riding just for fun, not racing I have to ask!

Acceleration I assume might be better with the RXT-X, over RXT-iS... How much better? Fuel economy should be a little better as well on RXT-X due to carrying less weight...

Interesting fuel and storage capacity variation between the two, you would reckon the RXT-X would have more space for extra fuel and storage capacity yet Doo have installed a smaller tank etc? Must be seriously considering all out performance and little else for this ski, Yet it is still a three seater so whats that all about....?

So anything else??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information