Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

How much do you think my setup weighs?

How much do you think an 08 RXPX, full gas tank and an aluminum 02 Single Triton Elite trailer weigh?

Triton's website says the trailer is about 350lbs, but the picture of it has all these extra attachments that I don't have. ie: storage bin, jerry can holder and spare tire.

BRP's website says the Seadoo is 774lbs dry.

I'm looking for a more accurate number. Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What do you want to do with the answer?

You can take it to a truck weigh scale, and have the whole thing weighed. Don't forget to unhitch the tongue, or weigh that separately using a bathroom scale in the driveway.

Or you can take the PWC off, then place each wheel at a time on a bathroom scale. Also weigh under the tongue jack. Must do this on a level surface, put flat wood under the scale.

The Triton weight specs would be for the trailer itself, not including the optional tongue box, etc. I have found their posted weight numbers to be less than accurate in the past.

There have been published PWC reviews that listed the measured weight. If you can find one for your model, that number might be different than the official number posted by BRP.

Keep in mind that a full fuel tank can add another 100 pounds or so to the total, plus whatever you put in the storage bins. Just multiply the weight of a gallon of gasoline times the rated tank capacity.

Spare tire, tongue jack, and such will also add to the total trailer weight.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    What do you want to do with the answer?

You can take it to a truck weigh scale, and have the whole thing weighed. Don't forget to unhitch the tongue, or weigh that separately using a bathroom scale in the driveway.

Or you can take the PWC off, then place each wheel at a time on a bathroom scale. Also weigh under the tongue jack. Must do this on a level surface, put flat wood under the scale.

The Triton weight specs would be for the trailer itself, not including the optional tongue box, etc. I have found their posted weight numbers to be less than accurate in the past.

There have been published PWC reviews that listed the measured weight. If you can find one for your model, that number might be different than the official number posted by BRP.

Keep in mind that a full fuel tank can add another 100 pounds or so to the total, plus whatever you put in the storage bins. Just multiply the weight of a gallon of gasoline times the rated tank capacity.

Spare tire, tongue jack, and such will also add to the total trailer weight.
    My vehicle is rated for 1000lbs of towing, or 1500lbs with trailer brakes... Trying to figure out what's the best way to deal with the over weight. If it's a little over 1000, I don't think it matters... but 200-400lbs over? I dunno....

I won't be able to weigh it until this spring because it's in storage for the winter.

+1
    Go to a truck stop and have it weighed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tempest.runner View Post
    My vehicle is rated for 1000lbs of towing, or 1500lbs with trailer brakes... Trying to figure out what's the best way to deal with the over weight. If it's a little over 1000, I don't think it matters... but 200-400lbs over? I dunno....

I won't be able to weigh it until this spring because it's in storage for the winter.
    My Triton Elite double trailer with two PWC weighs circa 1800+ lbs.
    My tow vehicle is rated for 1,000lbs

I have had no problems, other then adding AirLift 1000 air bags to the rear springs to prevent it from sagging when fully loaded.

In my case, the car has a rather long wheelbase, which helps with stability when towing. Unless your tow vehicle is very light or has a very short wheelbase, the extra trailer load over 1,000lbs probably won't be an issue.

Do make sure the tongue weight is in the correct range, with both full and empty PWC fuel tank.

And ensure the hitch ball height is correct. The trailer frame should be level, or very close to level, when the car and trailer are fully loaded and ready to roll.

The trailer frame should never be lower in the front that the rear. Tongue down attitude is bad for stability.

If the loaded ball height is wrong, either purchase a different ball mount to get the ball to the correct height, or install air bags as I did to get the rear end of the car higher.

Drive sensibly (accelerate modestly, brake gradually), give yourself plenty of room behind the next car, and think and look far ahead. Should be just fine.

+1
    If memory serves, the law in Ontario states that you cannot exceed 1000 lbs towing capacity on a front wheel drive vehicle.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BOATADDICT View Post
    If memory serves, the law in Ontario states that you cannot exceed 1000 lbs towing capacity on a front wheel drive vehicle.
    Link?

+1
    I will have to dig it up. I am just going from memory.

+1
    I've heard a lot of FWD vehicles don't have the proper transmission cooler to tow anything past 1000lbs for great distances.... Any truth in that? As for the law, I've never heard of anything like that other than making sure you don't go over the GVWR.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    My Triton Elite double trailer with two PWC weighs circa 1800+ lbs.
    My tow vehicle is rated for 1,000lbs

I have had no problems, other then adding AirLift 1000 air bags to the rear springs to prevent it from sagging when fully loaded.

In my case, the car has a rather long wheelbase, which helps with stability when towing. Unless your tow vehicle is very light or has a very short wheelbase, the extra trailer load over 1,000lbs probably won't be an issue.

Do make sure the tongue weight is in the correct range, with both full and empty PWC fuel tank.

And ensure the hitch ball height is correct. The trailer frame should be level, or very close to level, when the car and trailer are fully loaded and ready to roll.

The trailer frame should never be lower in the front that the rear. Tongue down attitude is bad for stability.

If the loaded ball height is wrong, either purchase a different ball mount to get the ball to the correct height, or install air bags as I did to get the rear end of the car higher.

Drive sensibly (accelerate modestly, brake gradually), give yourself plenty of room behind the next car, and think and look far ahead. Should be just fine.
    I've read a few responses of yours recommending those airbags... I'll have to see how the trailer sits on the vehicle before anything. Sounds like a nice mod.

What's the furthest you towed your 2 ski's? You came up to Ottawa last summer right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information