Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

replaced spark plugs

ok so i decided 2 change the plugs on my 250x and replaced with stock PMR9B..... went racing on sunday and i guess i was expecting 2 c noticable increase in performance but a little disappointed..... 1 st time i've done the plugs myself..... my question is do u need 2 gap the stock plugs 2 spec ( i think .6-.7mm) or r they already set by manufacturer?..... will i notice the difference if plugs r not exact 2 specs?.... thanx guys!

you need to make sure that they are .6-.7mm before you install, be sure to put some anti-sieze lube on the threads.
    and Torque 13 N.m (1.3 kgf.m, 113 in .lb)
    Last edited by jmatak9; 01-18-2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: messed up

yeah put the anti seize on!.....hand tightened then a further 1/4 turn...... didnt have the feeler gauge handy at the time of installation..... just worried that there not within specs.....

In my experience the PMR9B plugs have not yielded the best performance in my 250x. I have noticed the best results using the CR9EIX plugs, definite increase in performance was noticed instantly after install. This is just my personal opinion.

thanx keep that in mind 4 next time......plugs had done 27hrs and were black on the tips!..... definitely needed changing!

those PMR9B's are pricey! I have had good results with the CR9EK's. I can use them in the SC Ultra 260 and NA 15F

+1
    you should check the gap on all new spark plugs before installation but you need to very careful you dont damge the electrode if you have to alter the gap. by the way if the plugs weren't miss firing you wouldn't notice any gains in replacing them. and the color you talk of wont go away because you replaced the plugs. black tips could meen a number of things you can only read plug colors by chopping the throttle at high rpms. then removing them. i'm guessing you now have a good spare set dont throw them as they would still be fine to use. the reason for that plug is they have a much longer lifespan than any other and you shouldnt need to replace them that often.

+1

Plugs

I have done 70 hours and the plugs are working fine.

Agree that the plugs are expansive.

29 bucks each, Repco. PMR9B good plug. Pull your plugs, they don't come with anti sieze from dealer, and they probably too tight. Guy over here had lot of down time with broken plug. 13nm get the feel baby, pull them after every ride. Get intimate with your engine, buy some tools, they look good mounted on the shed wall. "Aircraft maintenance" is required. 100hours WOT is equivalent to 400,000 KM in a car.

Why would a person expect a performance change when replacing perfectly good spark plugs? What usually wears plugs down is electrical errosion at the spark electrodes. Fouling is common to older and poor running two strokes which is not the case with a modern 4 stroke engine. The engine sparks the same amount as any other 4 cycle engine, such as a motorcycle with a 12000 rpm redline for example. The ski only revs to like 8 grand.

Typically sparks plugs will last many times the lifetime some have chosen to use. Spark plugs last much longer than engine oil. 27 hours is like 1600-2500 miles at highway speeds. The ski as I said only revs to like 8 grand. People throw away money unnecessarily at these machines even though the maintenance schedule and common sense should clearly tells them different. Then again this place is the home of the infamous 10 hour oil and filter change.

rt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information