Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Jet skiing in 40 Degrees

hey guys my friend wants to break in his new ski. its a brand new SHO. how long should we let it warm up for? im sure the waters cold. i live in ny and im going to be jet skiing in the longisland sound or a harbor. the temp should be around 40 degrees, what should i bring with me worst case scenario. everything from gear to medical and tools. the ski has never been ran on the water yet so im alil bit worried. i wont be to far from the boat ramp so its not that bad. i just really want to stay warm. thanks guys.

justin

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoop421 View Post
    hey guys my friend wants to break in his new ski. its a brand new SHO. how long should we let it warm up for? im sure the waters cold. i live in ny and im going to be jet skiing in the longisland sound or a harbor. the temp should be around 40 degrees, what should i bring with me worst case scenario. everything from gear to medical and tools. the ski has never been ran on the water yet so im alil bit worried. i wont be to far from the boat ramp so its not that bad. i just really want to stay warm. thanks guys.

justin

I did alot of my speed runs last week and even though I am in florida we had record lows. It was 43 when i ran it the last time. I idled for a bout 3-4 minutes then rode around lower rpms for around 5 minutes. Then let it eat.

thanks yea we were thinking of letting it warm up for 15 mins. then go. we are just worryed about getting stranded, being we will prob be the only ones out there.

i would imagine a 4 stroke would be a little less picky about temperatures than a 2 stroke, i could be wrong, but i'd imagine that the 2 strokes are much more dependant on heat for fuel atomization purposes and the whole expansion of the piston and cylinder. But obviously letting it warm up a lot is a good idea.

the winter pretty much is just going right now in ny. so where do you put the antifreeze in this ski? i have no idea how and we dont want the water to freeze in his brand new ski. so any advice would be great!

thank justin

You can only run antifreeze through the hose fitting when you are flushing the ski.

The ski will run 100% in the cold weather i have had my ski's out in temperatures around 36 degrees without any problems with them.

Just wrap up well and you should be fine!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH. View Post
    I did alot of my speed runs last week and even though I am in florida we had record lows. It was 43 when i ran it the last time. I idled for a bout 3-4 minutes then rode around lower rpms for around 5 minutes. Then let it eat.
    +1 Let it warm up for a while. Rode 2 weekends ago in high 30's.

im just trying to figure out how to get the anti freeeze to the ski

Quote Originally Posted by bruce473 View Post
    You can only run antifreeze through the hose fitting when you are flushing the ski.

The ski will run 100% in the cold weather i have had my ski's out in temperatures around 36 degrees without any problems with them.

Just wrap up well and you should be fine!

read bruce's post again, thats how you get ir in there

+1
    Make sure you warm that motor up well. Just as mentioned above.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information