Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MSX 150 Question

As some of you have seen from the other forum, I had a problem with my 150. It dropped a valve and Polaris sent a new head. I got the thing back together and it fired right up on the first attempt. When I went to start it a second time the motor turns over but it does not fire. I have the battery on the charger in order to rule it out but I was wondering if any of you had any ideas. I PM'd Jay to ask him but in the mean time any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

+1
    I can't be of any assistance to ya, but rest assured that Jay is THE man when it comes to those 150's.

Thanks CrazyA, It definately was a weak battery. I got it to fire but it looks like the shims on the new valves are in definate need of adjustment. It runs very rough and you can definately here the slop in there, keeping the motor from settling out at 1550RPM.

Well, I thought is was the battery but now it appears to be fuel related. It definately acts like it is not getting any fuel. When I disconnect the injector connectors it starts to run and then quits. When I hook up the injectors it won't start at all. Help please.

+1
    Altron
    Double check harness plugs and all earths .Can you hear fuel pump cut in when you try to crank?
    Wasn't valve height set or head was sent without cams installed ?

Bernie

The head was sent with valves installed and man they were sloppy. Could timing have anything to do with this? Since I only tore the top end of the engine down and I indexed the old Cam with the new one. When I split the timing chain I used string to hold it in place while I removed and installed the head. There is the possibility the I could be one tooh off on the CAM. If that is the case, I can fix that pretty easily. I was weird how it fired right up at first but ran rough and now it won't even start. Should I hear something click or whine when I put the lanyard in? because I don't hear anything.
    Last edited by Altron; 09-03-2006 at 11:21 PM.

It appears the my ignition system is not turning on. According to my service manual when you insert the lanyard and the engine is off you should be able to move the throttle and here the flipper in the throttle body move. Mine is dead, I can't belive it even fired once.

+1
    Yohhh, check the fuses???

Hi Al, I just did and they are all good. I am getting quite frustrated.

I believe I have found the problem. It is the System Interface Box(SIFB). It was keeping the boat in sleep mode. The voltage & continuity checks to the SIFB were good. The continuity check from the SIFB to the ECU was also good, however the voltage check was not. I decided to take the SIFB out of the circuit and jumper the two wires in which voltage is supposed to flow and whala the boat came to life when the lanyard was installed. I will be ordering a new SIFB tomorrow and hopefully I will be well on my way to riding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information