My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1

ECU Question 15f

Hey guys I am making a list of the rest of the things I need to order to get my 15f project going and I came to the question of the ECU, I had planned on using one of these 3 stock computers, the 15f stock (2005) a 12f stock (more timing into it) or the riva offshore computer, Im just not sure if I will be able to use any of these with my ITB setup and the ZX cams, I had originally planned on playing with the fuel pressure based on a wideband gauge and tuning with a fuel pressure gauge and fuel pressure regualtor and then adding a powershot if I had to. Im not changing all that much with the engine, most of the internals are remaining stock in this incarnation (pre boost) The only real issue I can see is the Idle control motor is going away because of the zx throttle bodies, all the rest of them will still be there, air temp tps map sensor

also the stock dash is going away it broke so Im going to run standard marine gauges to monitor the engine

planning on
    oil temp
    rpm
    oil pressure
    voltage
    and possibly engine water temp.

does anyone see any problems with this?

Sean

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Careful with the 12f ecu's. If # is 32 or lower this is the one that has advanced timing and caused detonation and cracked piston on my 12f. With performance in mind this may be what you want?
    The one on it now has a 36. These are the last 2 digits on the ecu.
    I was told that the 32 # was a ecu trying to meet E.U smog standards and that is why it was so advanced.
    This is all I really know about these. I may be able to find out more and will let you know. I follow your project because it is interesting and you are very informative. The knowledge you share is great. I don't chime in much because mine is quite limited. So in escence reading your thread is like ski school for me. Thanks.

+1
    sweet thanks for the number info, im trying to help everyone out, thats why I post everything I do lol even if it doesnt work

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by rlovebk View Post
    Careful with the 12f ecu's. If # is 32 or lower this is the one that has advanced timing and caused detonation and cracked piston on my 12f. With performance in mind this may be what you want?
    The one on it now has a 36. These are the last 2 digits on the ecu.
    I was told that the 32 # was a ecu trying to meet E.U smog standards and that is why it was so advanced.
    This is all I really know about these. I may be able to find out more and will let you know. I follow your project because it is interesting and you are very informative. The knowledge you share is great. I don't chime in much because mine is quite limited. So in escence reading your thread is like ski school for me. Thanks.
    Interesting on the 12F ECU change, I didnt know that. Wondering if that advanced timing ECU would be safe with 100+ fuels.

+1
    It would help keep the engine from knocking with real high compression

there was a rumor out that the offshore ecu was a stock 12f but it was never confirmed

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post

there was a rumor out that the offshore ecu was a stock 12f but it was never confirmed

Sean

The ECU was always a 15F reflashed from Factory. They base map for timing was started with 12F then modified. The OEM 12F ECU will not work with the 15F Offshore Kit. It runs the motor lean.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post

Sean
    The 12f is super high compression. Somewheres around 240#
    I cannot attest to the degree of advance, but it was enough to grenade pistons, although the 12f piston is about one of the smallest skirted lightest slug you'd ever see.

+1
    yeah but its the compression ratio that matters most in a 4 stroke, I think the 15f is 10.6 and the 12f is 11.2

Sean

Thread Information