Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

used GP1200 - buy or not buy

Hello Guys,
    I'm looking at a used 2001 Yamaha GP1200 for 3K. The body is fine and test drive was good...full speed was not an issue....
    However, I'm alittle concern with the oil leak somewhere. I see bluish oil on the bottom of the hull. Since it was bluish, can I assume the leak is from the oil tank or oil line going into the engine. I'm not mechanically incline so I'm afraid to buy...would you buy it ???? any opinions about the leak....thanks in advance...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hooboo View Post
    Hello Guys,
    I'm looking at a used 2001 Yamaha GP1200 for 3K. The body is fine and test drive was good...full speed was not an issue....
    However, I'm alittle concern with the oil leak somewhere. I see bluish oil on the bottom of the hull. Since it was bluish, can I assume the leak is from the oil tank or oil line going into the engine. I'm not mechanically incline so I'm afraid to buy...would you buy it ???? any opinions about the leak....thanks in advance...
    Welcome to the forum. Oil in the hull is not a good thing. Oil injection line might have come off somewere. Did you talk to the seller about this? Any history on the ski like shop records of some sort? Compression good?

I have a 01 and mine was the same way when I purchased it !! One of the oil lines to the carb had come off !!! I just pulled all of them off and converted to pre mix and was fine, I consider myself very lucky !!!

He's a second owner of two years but he doesn't know much about the ski or oil leak....he seems surprise when I showed him the oil...

I'm hoping its a simple problem but don't want to risk $3K on it....

+1
    Definitely Check the compression on it. my brothers GP gets oily alot because he always spills oil while trying to refill with a 5 qt jug on water. Not sure how the GPRs are but the GP's oil tank is hard to get to. That, may or may not be the reason. But if he was surprised then he could have either not known about it or was surprised that you pointed it out.

I decided to go with my gut feeling and pass on the deal...FYI, on a GPR, the oil cap is on the outside so its really easy to put oil in...

This is for other readers that might find interesting. I talked to serveal mechanics and they said if you can go full speed in the water, most likily the compressions are good...is this true...

Quote Originally Posted by hooboo View Post
    I decided to go with my gut feeling and pass on the deal...FYI, on a GPR, the oil cap is on the outside so its really easy to put oil in...

This is for other readers that might find interesting. I talked to serveal mechanics and they said if you can go full speed in the water, most likily the compressions are good...is this true...
    They always say skis run the best before they blow up..

SO my answer in short is no, what they have told you is not always true. The ski may seem to run good, but checking compression can give you a decent idea of what is going on inside the motor. I have had people bring me skis that "run great!" and when I check compression the numbers are completely wacky...one cylinder will be at 150 and the other will be at 80.

On the GPR's oil in the bottom of the hull is usually a sign the oil injection line pulled off or has a crack in it. This is quite often the cause of the these motors blowing up. IF there is a leak and one cylinder runs low on oil, your 3k dollar ski will quickly turn into a $5k ski.

I would say you probably did the right thing on passing if thats what your gut instinct told you.

thanks...maybe I should learn how to measure the compression before I buy any used skis...

+1
    Hi Hooboo. NADA value for that ski is currently $4k+, so $3k is a good price if it's mechanically fine. Don't be shy about asking to do a compression check--if there is a problem you can always pass.

As others have mentioned, the 2-stroke Yamaha's are notorious for oil lines wriggling off and subsequently burning up the motor. If you ran the ski on the water full-out for a while, and an oil line was off, it would have certainly burned up the motor fast, so it sounds like there may be another reason for oil in the hull.

Oil residue in the hull may be due lack of cleanup after a previous repair. Does the motor look stock (silver-colored cylinder jugs), or is the whole motor painted black--head bolts and all? If the latter, it's an SBT motor and you can find the serial number on the top front of the motor (you'll need a little mirror to check for the SBT sticker).

If you do end up buying this ski or another 2-stroke Yamaha, convert it to pre-mix as your first order of business.

-Boudin

the motor top is all black I think and really clean.....just bluish oil on the bottom...yeah, I'm thinking about going back and do more testing on it....hope he still have it...

I read all day friday on compression testing...I think I understand it now but do have one question...on one thread, someone mentioned grounding the sparkplug cables to prevent any damage to the ignition system...is this what I need to do in compression testing....all the other threads including the sticker left out this part....

thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information