Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GP1200r no compression in one cylinder? Any ideas?

Hey all -- wondering if anyone can speculate on this issue:

Long story short: gp1200r '00 model basically doesn't want to go above 20mph and sounds terrible. Dealer says the first cylinder has no compression, and they need to open her up to find out the problem.

Anyone want to speculate on what the problem might be?

Longer version of the story:

Friends gp1200r took on water (hull filled up with water as a hose clamp came off). Pulled plugs, bumped starter motor, got out all the salt water. Ski fired up and went great that afternoon. A week later, drop ski back in water, runs fine (easily did 55mph) then suddenly ski just cuts out. This happened about 3 times (start, run great, cut out). Fourth time ski fires up, runs like absolute crap, barely gets above 30mph.

We idle it back to shore. Replace spark plugs, fire it up on the hose, first cylinder spark plug barely gets warm, while other two spark plugs are hot as. Still runs like crap.

Any thoughts?

thanks guys.

+1
    Time to pull that cylinder off for inspection. Check the pulse line/oil line to see if it came off. How many hours? Pictures will help.Sorry to hear the bad news but its all fixable.
    Welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    Time to pull that cylinder off for inspection. Check the pulse line/oil line to see if it came off. How many hours? Pictures will help.Sorry to hear the bad news but its all fixable.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Thanks for the reply. I can't post pictures just yet, as the ski's at the dealer. The ski has 160 hours (and about 20 hours ago had a top-end rebuild).

If the pulse line had come off, would the cylinder read no compression?

Any info helps, as I'll be better educated when the dealer says how many $$ and what he thinks is wrong with it.

thanks

+1
    If the pulse line comes off you create a vacuum leak and the cylinder goes lean and melts the piston. That is just one cause for no compression. Others are lack of oil. Piston ring locating pin failyer. Dropped power valve. Etc...

Oh Welcome to the Hulk..

Sounds like you siezed up the 1st cylinder. Each time it quit it was a mild siezure. You will need a new piston, chances are good a cylinder or a cylinder replated. The next issue is what caused the siezure? Or as Beerdart suggested could have dropped a valve.

+1
    If the crank is still in good shape it can be repaired for under $500 usd. It also could of been caused by a fuel issue. Did they rebuild the carbs when they did the top-end? Finding the root cause is very important so it does not happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    If the crank is still in good shape it can be repaired for under $500 usd. It also could of been caused by a fuel issue. Did they rebuild the carbs when they did the top-end? Finding the root cause is very important so it does not happen again.
    Yes, they rebuilt the carbs as well as the top end about 20 hours ago.

I guess trying to run it after a mild seizure was a bad idea?

+1
    Piston ring locating pin failure.

+1
    Oil Line came off I bet. Any oil in the hull joelpob. OR power valve dropped down hitting piston!

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    Oil Line came off I bet. Any oil in the hull joelpob. OR power valve dropped down hitting piston!
    No oil in the hull -- dealer still hasn't got back to us after looking at it today, so I'm getting nervous.

Should hopefully know tomorrow. Thanks to the speculators so far - it means I can have a educated conversation with the dealer, and might cost me less $$.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information