Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bye bye rod bearing!

so I thought I had had broken and fixed just about everything possible in my sl780. Ski quit a few weeks ago out on the water and i finally got a chance to take a look at it today. The PTO's compression was down about 30psi so i pulled the cylinder and found metal presents all over my crankcase. My rod bearing washer was mangled and was sitting in one of the intake ports.

So i need some options/encouragement. I guess im gonna need to replace the crank now, luckily they are really cheap...not. I almost think i would be better off getting a used motor. Either way I need to fix this on a college student budget . I really dont want to sell it either. One, because i dont think I would get my moneys worth with the motor like it is, and second i have put way to much time, blood, sweat and lots of tears in it to just give up.

Any ideas? RXP swap??

I feel your pain.... I have both a 750 and 780 and each will be getting "new" cranks. I got an SBT recon crank in last Friday for $345 shipped and it includes freight for sending core back. It looks a feels smooth to spin. Some complain of China bearings used in SBT stuff.... Heck, isn't everything we get now days from China?

On my other crank for the 780, I may take advice from others on here and send it to someone like Sharps as I don't think that crank needs a much done.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyrider View Post
    so I thought I had had broken and fixed just about everything possible in my sl780. Ski quit a few weeks ago out on the water and i finally got a chance to take a look at it today. The PTO's compression was down about 30psi so i pulled the cylinder and found metal presents all over my crankcase. My rod bearing washer was mangled and was sitting in one of the intake ports.

So i need some options/encouragement. I guess im gonna need to replace the crank now, luckily they are really cheap...not. I almost think i would be better off getting a used motor. Either way I need to fix this on a college student budget . I really dont want to sell it either. One, because i dont think I would get my moneys worth with the motor like it is, and second i have put way to much time, blood, sweat and lots of tears in it to just give up.

Any ideas? RXP swap??
    +1 for SBT

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    I have heard that the SBT cranks and impeller repairs are okay. But I have heard not so nice things about their short blocks. I do not have any experience with either. I am getting a crank rebuilt locally by a guy who works on Polaris snowmobiles. I got British made bearings and WSM rod kits. I also got a nice new SKF bearing for the crank end. It should be good to go! I will get pics when it is done.

Has it always the pto piston giving you problems? How many pistons burnt down on that crank?

+1
    -1 for SBT

+1 for Sharps

Give us a call. 315-343-6513

Quote Originally Posted by thester71 View Post
    Has it always the pto piston giving you problems? How many pistons burnt down on that crank?
    The PTO has burnt up twice and the cen once. I think its carb related though. I have checked the index twice if thats what your thinking and its right on. I need to pull the carbs and check them out next. I was never able to make any of the cyls comfortably rich. they were always a little on the lean side. Im wondering if some aluminum from the previous meltdowns maybe got into the bearing and blew it up.

How much would it be to have the crank rebuilt u think?

Quote Originally Posted by rustyrider View Post
    The PTO has burnt up twice and the cen once. I think its carb related though. I have checked the index twice if thats what your thinking and its right on. I need to pull the carbs and check them out next. I was never able to make any of the cyls comfortably rich. they were always a little on the lean side. Im wondering if some aluminum from the previous meltdowns maybe got into the bearing and blew it up.

How much would it be to have the crank rebuilt u think?
    I was also thinking it was the aluminum dust in your crank bearings.

Midwest Crankshaft
    Call Jeff at 1-920-434-3630

Try Jeff, he does a excellent job at a reasonable price.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Dam, that sucks!!!!!

And you just got it looking sweet too......

If you had multiple piston failures, and never cleaned the crank bearings out, I'm sure the debris ruined it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information