Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Pre-mix....Oil pump decisions

The thread running by 2000slx1200 has me thinking about my skis.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=115328

This past fall I purchased a '94 SLT750 and will soon begin bringing the fuel system up to snuff along with a carb rebuild. The OEM oiling system is still in place on this ski.

My other ski is a '96 SLT780. Back in '05 I had an oil hose crack which resulted in the CEN piston getting trashed on a motor that had just been installed in '04. The oil line failure made me nervous with the new motor (reman) so I converted to pre-mix. I kept pump, linkage, and tank for a while and tried to sell them but eventually through the parts in the trash.

After reading more on the Polaris oiling system, it's seems obvious the pump is not the problem, but upkeep on the hoses is critical. So, the oiling system is essentially just fine as long as you maintain it periodically.

Now that the 750 is in the armada, I now need to decide what to do. I know the best thing is to have them both on the same fueling system so I don't get gas cans confused. The question becomes: Do I acquire a tank, pump, and linkage for the 780 and put it back on the oiling system, or do I convert the 750 to premix and call it done.

Converting the 750 to premix is the cheapest solution up front. However, I have to wonder over the long haul if going back to an oiling system on the 780 will be cheaper Running 2 skis on premix, at nearly $20/gallon for oil, will get a bit spendy over the course of a summer. I know the pump on the 780 was a VRO but was the '94 also VRO or was it just a constant rate? Either way, I'm sure if I used the oiling system on both skis I'd go through much less oil in a season than if they are both on pre-mix.

So, what are your thoughts on this?

KJ

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    You lost a cyl to an oil supply issue once already. Why take that chance again?

Cost of oil is minimal to an engine failure.

The extra oil that premix provides, isn't wasted. It gives all the parts a good coat.

A little extra oil also provides a better ring seal.

If you want to look at cost alone, you'll need the oil pump, hoses and filters for 1 machine. New hoses and filters for the other. (pretty sure the SLT is constant flow)

Also need to check/mainatin the system in years to come.

OR block them off and never have to worry about them again...

I carry my fuel in the truck. For those that want the convenience of pulling up to the gas dock, just carry a qt. of oil in the storage bin. 1 qt. for 10 gals of gas.

That's my take.

+1
    If you do stay with a pump, the so called "New" used pump will have how many hours use? is there anything wrong with it? does it actually work? and if it does work, how good? If ya get a new one, it will cost the "big bucks" like the auto-cocks do on ebay! lol

I'd just go premix on both. Oil is cheap compared to a $450.00 crank.! plus labor!. moh yeah, pistons too!. I always carry oil with me on the ski. Never depend on the gas stop to have it ever!!!!!!! never ever never,,,,,You'll get stranded.

Oh NOOOOOOOO fuzzy math.lol

Hmmm. $450.00 crank divided by $20.00/gallon/oil equals 22.5 gallons of oil.

That equates too 4-10 gallon fill ups per gallon of oil. 1 qt per fill.

Times that (4-ten gallon fillups) by 22.5 gallons of oil equals 90 fill ups buying oil. and 900 gallons of gas. +++++

$3.00/gallon times 900 gallons =$2700.00. $5.00 /qt oil times 90 =$450.00. Total :$3150.00

13.8% is oil 86.2% gas (if oil is 5.00/qt) and (gas is 3.00/gal.)

If you took your ski out for 90 trips and paid 35.00 each time (30 for gas, 5 for oil.) doing 15 trips a year would take you 6 YEARS worth of riding for the average skier!!!

$450.00/oil divided by 6 yrs equals $75.00/year or $25.00 for a 3 month,3 week riding season! Thats taking it out every week for 3 months and 3 weeks all summer! Not bad really if ya think about it! lol I did.lol Here in michigan, thats about right! 3 months ,3 weeks summers over.

After 6 years, its time for a rebuild anyways.lol Go premix!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper
    ...fuzzy math
    Not sure I am following your math

If you spend more money on oil every ride because you pre-mix (which burns roughly twice the oil as the VRO pump system), then over 6 years you will have spent the money now needed for a rebuild.

And if you retain/use the oil pump system, you will save (since you are using 1/2 the oil) the money needed for the rebuild after six years.

Is that what you are calculating?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmtz View Post
    ...was the '94 also VRO or was it just a constant rate?

Either way, I'm sure if I used the oiling system on both skis I'd go through much less oil in a season than if they are both on pre-mix...
    The constant flow rate oil pumps used in the early years will flow more oil on average than the variable rate oil pumps.

You will need to check the details, but I think you can retro-fit the variable rate pump to your engine. Tenjuna is doing exactly that on his SL650 project.

I do not know whether the non-variable rate Fuji oil pump consumes more or less oil than 40:1 pre-mix does. The variable pump system does consume less, by about half.

+1
    Yeah I was just messing around with the numbers. I guess you would save about half of that 450 from the oil. But,, you still have to pay for the pump,cable,nuts, and case. So that kinda washes it.

I pre-mix now and My ski doesn't smoke anymore than usual. I guess its up the individual. I guess I'm a little old school and mix it like in the lawnmower! and the snowblower, chainsaw,snowmobile,weed wacker,air blower,jetski and anything else thats running shitty.lol All these applications can't be wrong for using premix. Instant security. Otherwise, your just hoping its working.

For the 450.00 , you can buy another 750! >>>> A 1200 -> 4 -> 510.00 I did. They are throw a ways really.

+1
    The Fuji oil pumps are Pretty much bullet proof it's the lones you have to worry about
    The domestics are very good also but do tend to fail but on a stock ski i have no problem running the oil injection

+1
    Thats true Lugs. I noticed the original lines on them are brittle. and don"t bend easy like they use too. I guess new lines and a clean tank n filter is in order if you stay with the pump. Then your bullet-proof!

I personally prefer the oil pump. And yes the 96 has the variable rate, the 94 did not. Once you hook up the pump, an easy way to check if its working is to just pull one of the small oil lines off while its running and see if the oil dribbles out. This is how I used to check snowmobiles and it works just fine for anything with an oil pump. I have also found, that the oil lines are at fault 100% of the time (so far with my experiences) and the reason all that oil is in the hull is because of the line cracking or a loose clamp (those spring clamps make me cringe).

I just installed a variable rate oil pump on my 94 750 - 780 project and Iam going to run the first 1/2 tank premix until it all gets primed.

pro's to oil pump:

no premixing gas
    -Fill and forget the oil tank (a tank full of oil will last like 5 tanks of gas)
    -Less oil use
    - not having to worry about the oil stealing some octane rating over time (when it sits up and absorbs water too) with the ethanol in the fuel.

con's to oil pump:
    -never really know if you are getting oil unless you pull the oil line off while running
    -cracked line issues if not inspected after 10 years of use
    - parts if you are re-installing it
    - less lubrication (I don't think this one really counts)

+1
    Okay, so if I decide to go back to the pump on the 780, does anyone have a pump, oil tank, and linkage they are willing to part with? The cost of these parts would be another deciding factor. I will soon have enough $$$ get the necessary parts to bring the 750 to life. But, I won't have much extra cash to buy an oiling system.

Knowing what I know now, I wish I would have kept the oil system. I didn't have room to keep the parts and I didn't have the extra cash for another rebuild when the oil line let go.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information