Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar

fuel guage reads half tank when full

changed out the fuel pump to a walbro reinstalled it and the gas guage reads half when its full ...saw something on this a few years ago..but couldnt find it..

know i did something wrong almost empty should fix it now...

i know it is somthing i just over looked

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by breon View Post
    changed out the fuel pump to a walbro reinstalled it and the gas guage reads half when its full ...saw something on this a few years ago..but couldnt find it..

know i did something wrong almost empty should fix it now...

i know it is somthing i just over looked
    You bent the float arm when you replaced the pump...remove the fuel pump assemply and fix the arm to a 90 degree angle. Common issue! --J

it was a bear to get out of there.. i cansee how that might have happened ...at least it worked when it is important ..just before it was empty ..ill get it out again and give it a look thanks

Bow chicka wow wow
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by breon View Post
    it was a bear to get out of there.. i cansee how that might have happened ...at least it worked when it is important ..just before it was empty ..ill get it out again and give it a look thanks
    Someone correct me if wrong, I haven't worked on jet ski gas floats, but tons of car fuel gauges. Most all work off resistance to ground, so a 12 volt source is applied to your gauge and then the float rides up/down a potentiometer with windings that increase or decrease the resistance to ground(sensor wire going to sending unit from gauge) depending on position of the float.

When you get float out check with ohm meter or move float manually. Possible resistance to ground is different than other unit?Or as suggested bent float rod?

you clocked it wrong when you put it back together so now it tops out in the lower part of the tank... ask me how i know

bringing this back up

i never fixed it because it read correctly on the second half of the tank...when it was needed ...

well once it decided not to and i ran out and had to get rescued... embarassing but it happened..luckily i wasnt out in the middle of nowhere..

so i took it apart today unfortunately i dont see anything wrong..the arm is at 90 deg...so i didnt bend it... when it is installed it points to the front at about 1;30 2 o'clock basically points at the battery ...when everything goes in ..i think there is a molded recession for the set up to sit in at the bottom of the tank ..the top bolts will only line up one way so it cant be rotated...so i think ..

+1
    I swear the ol' bent arm is 99% the cause of this problem. I don't remember much about the rest of the set-up, but do remember the little electric strip where the arm makes the reading...thats about it. sorry can't be any more help. --J

Banned User
    +1
    the 08 the fuel pump housing you remove from the tank has an arrow that your supposed to line up with a line on the tank itself when reinstalling. Don't know if your year has the same just adding info

ya the bolts are spaced odd .you can only get the bolts to line up one way ...

Banned User
    +1
    Its either the ARM is bent or the arm is fouling on something in the tank.

Get it out, check for bends that aren't supposed to be there and re-install the unit so the arm is towards the rear of the hull (from memory) and the connector is to the port side.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information