Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steering Stuck

Steering Stuck

I have not used my ski in about a year now, I start it about 3 times a month to keep the oil moving in it, and keep it on a trickle charger

But now I’m noticing that it is extremely hard to turn the steering wheel. I have tried to use the white lithium grease and w240 to loosen it (I’m guessing maybe rust on the cord) is there something else that I might be? I have yet to start opening it up.

Thanks!

Its a 2005 RXP

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Check the OPAS it could be sticking.

Most of the time its the cable but it can be the stearing head bearings. Its rare unless you like to ride in the salt and dont wash. The surface of the yoke corodes. if you can make the stearing wiggle back and forth a minute amount without moving the cable (less than an 3 mm) its ok and the cable is bad. or you can unhook the cable from the head and see if it moves easy

+1
    I have that same problem and I ride in salt. I usually spray lube on the steering shaft once in awhile and everytime I walk out into the garage, usually a couple time a day I'll move the steering one way to another each time I'm out there and that seems to keep it loose from not sticking....
    My .02

+1
    I had the same issue on my 04 GTX. Took the steering cable out soaked it in a bucket of oil for a week wouldnt budge ended up having to change the whole steering cable out. about 200$ later.

Bad Gas?

Ouch, I hope I donít have to replace it.

I guess ill have to start working on getting it out of there because i can get it to loosen up in the position itís in now.

I also have a new problem!!!!
    I went a head and got it on the water and after I let it warm up, and got up into the 45-50 mph ish, it started running rough and of course I freaked out and brought it back to dock soon as I could.

Iím trying to figure out what is wrong with it, and the only thing I can think of is maybe I have some bad gas in it (been sitting a year (but I start it 2 times a month)) I cant remember if I put stabilizer in it. Any thoughts (itís got a full tank)
    What are the first steps if I were to start trying to clean it out? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mccoy View Post
    Ouch, I hope I donít have to replace it.

I guess ill have to start working on getting it out of there because i can get it to loosen up in the position itís in now.

I also have a new problem!!!!
    I went a head and got it on the water and after I let it warm up, and got up into the 45-50 mph ish, it started running rough and of course I freaked out and brought it back to dock soon as I could.

Iím trying to figure out what is wrong with it, and the only thing I can think of is maybe I have some bad gas in it (been sitting a year (but I start it 2 times a month)) I cant remember if I put stabilizer in it. Any thoughts (itís got a full tank)
    What are the first steps if I were to start trying to clean it out? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!
    Your riding it with stuck steering???

With the bad gas. ride the ski and burn the gas out. when you get down to a half put some fresh premium in it and run it as close to empty as possible. then new gas, new plugs, and you should be set to go. If the gas has ethonol in it, dont be surprised if you hear pops.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxcrazy23 View Post
    Your riding it with stuck steering???

With the bad gas. ride the ski and burn the gas out. when you get down to a half put some fresh premium in it and run it as close to empty as possible. then new gas, new plugs, and you should be set to go. If the gas has ethonol in it, dont be surprised if you hear pops.
    HAHA, I did get the steering loosened up a bit, but its still stiff to a degree, i still need to take that apart and work on it.

So this dose sound like a gas issue? I was just guessing that is was the gas, is there another problem it could be? i would hate to take it out with a real mechanical problem and ride it to use up a half tank of gas, but Iím kind of out of ideas on what else it would be. I think I might try this, but it will be a good week before I take it out and again. Should I dump some stabilizer in it to try and get the gas a bit better? Or is that a lost cause?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mccoy View Post
    HAHA, I did get the steering loosened up a bit, but its still stiff to a degree, i still need to take that apart and work on it.

So this dose sound like a gas issue? I was just guessing that is was the gas, is there another problem it could be? i would hate to take it out with a real mechanical problem and ride it to use up a half tank of gas, but Iím kind of out of ideas on what else it would be. I think I might try this, but it will be a good week before I take it out and again. Should I dump some stabilizer in it to try and get the gas a bit better? Or is that a lost cause?
    Honestly from what you are saying im going with the Gas. Get some fresh gas new plugs(should change them every year) and just ride it. i wouldn't go out and go WOT until it clears it self up. how does it idle?
    I had a GTX that sat with a full tank of gas from oct to aug. ran like crap when i was giving it some gas and would miss everyone in a while. Gas doesnt have a very long shelf life. Ran the tank low, got some fresh gas and plugs and it ran normal again.

Where are you in florida? lots of nice Florida guys on here the im sure would be willing to take a look at the ski.

It used to idle pretty smooth, when I started it a few times a week. Once I got it on the water and was able to open it up a bit more and let it run longer is when I started feeling funny. It started running rougher and had the sputtering feeling. I do know that I did not put ethanol in it. We have one gas station around here that is still ethanol free.

I’m in the West Melbourne area, I normally ride (when i get the time) on the Indian River (inter coastal water, a bit brackish)

I have never had to get rid of a gas before, where do you dispose of it? I’m guessing if I get at least some out, and get some fresh in ill run it mixed with some stabilizer. run it empty, Then fill it again with good gas and change the plugs at that point, what else should I try and clean out or replace at this point, the ski has about 120 hours, and it did have the 100 hour service.

Thanks for you help man I really appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information