+1

Going from PV to Non-PV engine GPR

Just got my ski running right, 00' GP1200R, noticed the top speed was sluggish but was happy with the performance. Decided to install the WE Clips and the #3 PV has broken the pins off the arm and the PV is stuck in the shaft. It did not drop into the cylinder so I think I have missed the devils claw on this one.

I bought some R&D billet style PVs to replace the stock Yamaha valves as they were a better price value. My search on the R&D valves has not turned up much info, perhaps because they are good qual and last long, however, I wonder if I do have an issue, if there are options to go to the 1300 non-pv engine? What all is involved? Is it cost prohibitive?

+1
    You can take those 1200 cylinders and have them punched out to a 1300. It also involves having them renicked and reworking the power valves themselves to accept the 1300 specs. You will also have to have the head reshaped, so you might as well increase the compression. I'm not sure of the exact HP increase, but I believe it will take you to about 190hp.

Lowell, Tim Judge, and I believe Woody does this type of work. They are very good at it.

Moderated
    its cheaper to buy a 1300cc top end ( pv style) and just bolt it up.....you would have to get your pv's machined to suit so they clear the pistons though....

that will be cheaper then getting your 1200cc top bored out to a 1300cc top end....then you can just sell the 1200 top end off to off set costs...thats exactly what i did.

+1
    Very interesting alternative izz0, no doubt. Looking to save cost as much as possible but want equal speed and reliability, breaking down in the ocean is no fun, plenty of sharks in the Bahamas.

+1
    You are probably right Izzo, it would more than likely be a cheaper alternative. I was thinking about my GPR that I had punched out. What I did not mention was that the cylinders and pistons were matched and balanced, that the nickicil that was put in was a tad thicker than the stock thickness, and the whole top end was ported. This is why the hp was so high.

Mine is not your basic swap top end type deals. My way of thinking though is that if you are going to take it to a new level, then take it to the highest level without looking back wishing that you did in the first place.

For me, I knew that once I converted to a 1300 that the next thing that I would have wanted to do was get it ported.

Money is always an issue though....

+1
    or you could go with a 1300 non-pv top end, and sell your good stuff

1300 cylinders w/pistons, 1300 head, U pipe elbow, and re-jet the carbs. More power and you wont have to worry about the valves anymore.

I have everything you need for this upgrade.

Thread Information