SeaDoo RXT taking on water - no clue

What: Takes on water from no obvious location on acceleration. If you fill water in it, it does not leak back out. I had the alignment checked, the carbon seal and everything else the dealer could think of. They are stumped. They are telling me it doesn't look like they will be able to sort it out. Said they took it on the lake with two riders and can't see the entry point of the water.

What next: Any ideas of what else to check? Do I take it to another dealer? The one I took it to is telling me I need to file an insurance claim. This seems odd. Unless it was wrecked, how could this possibly be an insurance claim?

+1
    What year RXT?? Did the dealer take the carbon seal out???Or did they just look at in while it was in the boat???I had a carbon seal that looked great while it was installed, but once running she would leak do to 2 small groves cut into it by small rocks or sand.. Also look at your OPAS line connections..The hoses coming in from the transom to the OPAS system..And then there is the cooling lines,check all the cooling lines going and coming off the IC and exhaust..As far as an insurance claim???I cant really say if that would be considered a claim issue or not..Try taking it to a different dealer also..maybe this dealer, as most look at the obvious and don't want to take the time to look into deeper issues..

+1
    +1

also check the bailer lines are intaced and tied up and not laying in the bottom of the hull.

Year and other

It is a 2005. Bailer lines are ok. I will ask them if they did anything more than visibly check the seal. They said they check the OPAS and no issue.

Thanks for the replies.

just talked to the dealer

They said in fact they just visially inspected the carbon ring and it looked ok. Never took anything off/apart. I told them to replace it so we will see if that resolves the issue.

+1
    when you rode it with the seat off did you see water spaying around? also how many hr's on the ski?

while riding answer

While riding it you cannot see any water spraying anywhere. It just comes in at a gradual rate only when accelerating. It has about 80 hours on it. It has had the engine out to replace the oil pumps and super charger rings.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmerritt View Post
    They said in fact they just visially inspected the carbon ring and it looked ok. Never took anything off/apart. I told them to replace it so we will see if that resolves the issue.
    You can visibly inspect a carbon seal and it look good installed..But take it out it could have grooves or even be out of spec,,Also you can fill the hull with water and it wont leak, thats what throws alot of people off...IF when they re-installed the engine and didnt do a proper alignment this could definatly be an issue..Have the dealer check the alignment while they have the driveline out..

+1
    How much water are you talking about? Do you have water sprayed around the carbon seal area? Chances are it is your carbon seal. Mine did that even with a brand new seal, boot, and hat so I replace the setup to something totally different. No more water. This happens more on modified skis. How many hours are on your ski? Do you have any mods done? Take at leat the back seat off and stab the throttle from a dead idle and see if you see any water spray from around there.

check the t-piece that get water from the pump and goes to the opas, it's on the the inside of the hull just above the pump

Thread Information