Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

opinions on factory twin pipe setup for 951?

what are your guys thoughts here. i have a 98 xpl with filters and jets etc. im looking for a little more power and something to tinker with? are the coffman singles better?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nick230 View Post
    what are your guys thoughts here. i have a 98 xpl with filters and jets etc. im looking for a little more power and something to tinker with? are the coffman singles better?
    I think the Coffman's is more user friendly (though they do not call it the Purple Piston Eater for nothing).

The twins are more complex as far as the mounting and the guys I have known who ran them found them to be rather temperamental as far as tuning. They would be dialed in one day and just a bit off the next.

They also seem to kill the wrist pin bearings as I believe it was recommended that they be changed on the RXX at 25 hours.

Now, this stuff may sound bad and a PITA but you have to consider that these pipes were designed for racing. If a racer has to tune his machine every day it is not such a big deal (he was probably going to screw with it anyway). It is also not as big a deal if he has to pull the top end down more often.

The point is, if you are going to race in a class that allows them, either pipe can be made to work for you. If you want to go hang around the dock and mess around trying to tune your boat in for half an hour or so and then ride a little bit knowing that you are the fastest 2-stroke in the area, then an aftermarket pipe is for you.

If you want to be able to ride around like a stock boat can, day in, day out, without tuning carbs, without watching the hours and hoping that a wrist pin does not grenade at 20hrs instead of 25, without hoping that the 50 RPM you lost from the last time you rode does not mean you are about to melt a piston, then stick with the setup you have now.

I do not really mean to sound as if I disapprove of guys modding up their boats. Some just HAVE to do it and that is cool. But, I have seen them pulled up on the beach while the rest of us rode and I have towed them in plenty of times too. I just want folks to have a good idea of what they are getting into before they fork out the money, time, and top end or two (JK, they do not ALL blow up ).

You would probably be happier over all with the Coffman's (if you can find one for sale, and with no leaks).

yea i think the coffmans pipe is the way forward. half the fun of riding is tuning your ski right!! getting every last little bit out of her

the twins do seem like they would be a pain in the ass, i mean working on my boat with the stock pipe in the way is a pain let alone spaghetti junction with those twin pipes.

im not racing anymore just want to be the badest two storke on my lake haha

thanks for the advice

+1
    The Coffman is supperior to the stock pipe as far as getting to stuff and you do not have the problem at the pipe flange and pipe mounts that the stocker does.

As far as I am concerned, have at it and good luck to you.

Just remember, the difference between the most RPM it can turn and no RPM at all (with maybe a rod shot through the cases for effect) is not much at all.

The rule of thumb is if you can afford to rebuild it you can afford to turn those High Speed Screws in another 1/8th.

If not, then don't.

I just learned that while it is fun to work on them, there is a rather low limit to how fun that can be.

In the end, I like riding a whole lot more than wrenching.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Krunch knows what he is talking about, he doesnt write for his own good.
    I have to agree, I rather much ride a decent fast ski. Than having to tune a modded every so often.

I am in the process of building a twin pipe XPL myself. On the second rebuild now after the previous crank only lasted 10 mins before chucking a main bearing due to a bit of water ingress but hey that's another story. Got a new OE crank now and will be installing motor on the weekend. Will then start the business of setup after that, hopefully my starting settings won't be too far out but am erring on the rich side as I don't want to sieze up on my first run out (like last time )
    Will report back

yea the purple piston eater sounds like the business. what would i expect to pay for one? i have seen twin pipes going for $500 but cofmans seem to be 700ish ideas?

i love wrenching on my! when you put in hours of hard work then go flog the balls outa it on the lake its such a rewarding feeling!

i look forward to seeing your setup dude, lots of pics please

on another note i want to add a profile pic but every time i try it says it failed?

Banned User
    pipes dont make a machine a tuning disaster, if you want reliablility then go coffman, if you want to be the fastest go twins and get them tuned well. I have run factory pipes and coffman before on lake boats, I just cant run a stock boat, I dont like having the same thing as everyone else.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nick230 View Post
    yea the purple piston eater sounds like the business. what would i expect to pay for one? i have seen twin pipes going for $500 but cofmans seem to be 700ish ideas?

i love wrenching on my! when you put in hours of hard work then go flog the balls outa it on the lake its such a rewarding feeling!

i look forward to seeing your setup dude, lots of pics please

on another note i want to add a profile pic but every time i try it says it failed?
    The Coffman's are not cheap and you have to be careful that someone is not trying to unload a cracked one on you.

henn,

No one has said that a pipe makes a "disaster" to tune but one must be aware of the, well, special needs of a piped 947.

If you can afford to pay, then you can afford to play. That is all I am trying to get across.

+1
    [QUOTE=KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX;1324102]

No one has said that a pipe makes a "disaster" to tune but one must be aware of the, well, special needs of a piped 947.

QUOTE]

Interested to know what your thoughts are on "well ,special needs of a piped 947"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information