plate question for my SHO

I have an 08 SHO with a few mods (Riva powerfilter; intake upgrade; exhaust upgrade; R&D sponsons, intake grate, grate seal kit, R&D ride plate; Riva/Solas impeller). I primarily ride in the Chesapeake Bay and various local rivers (which all can get rough very quickly). I also ride 2-up from time to time.

While I am happy with most of the mods, I am not thrilled with the R&D ride plate. it doesn't seem to do well in rough water and when riding 2-up the ski just doesn't feel right (I also have the sponsons set "down" in the "more controllable" setting).

I am now contemplating having the stock plate "modded" and re-install it. My only hesitation is that I had a similar mod done to a Riva plate on our 07 FX-HO, stage 1 and at top speed (about 64 mph) it would, from time to time, take a sharp right turn without warning (resulting in a skip and swim-type situation). I had to shim the back of it to stop this "experience". I do not want this to happen to the SHO... since it can blow past 64 with no problem.

So, with that said.... what is the recommendation?? Am I safe having the stock plate modded??? Should I ponder a Riva plate?? While there, should I also consider putting on reinforcement for the tunnel??

Since it is cold... now is the time to get this stuff done. Thank you in advance.

+1
    The R & D ride plate is NOT a good rough water plate.

Send your stock ride plate to Jim and have him mod it, and when you ride 2 up, throw a shim or two on the back bolts and you will gain even more stability.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOdude View Post
    The R & D ride plate is NOT a good rough water plate.

Send your stock ride plate to Jim and have him mod it, and when you ride 2 up, throw a shim or two on the back bolts and you will gain even more stability.
    how does the island racing plate mod compare to jims plate mod. i am in the same boat, as far as having a r&d ride plate and not happy with its performance in rough water and/or with riding 2 up. i will probably only use it for smooth water 1 up. and get the oem plate modified and have that as my primary ride plate.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon lasiter #328 View Post
    how does the island racing plate mod compare to jims plate mod. i am in the same boat, as far as having a r&d ride plate and not happy with its performance in rough water and/or with riding 2 up. i will probably only use it for smooth water 1 up. and get the oem plate modified and have that as my primary ride plate.
    Never heard of the island racing plate. Jim's modded stocker gained me 2.7 mph. Total gain with Jim's modded R & D was 3.2 mph.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOdude View Post
    Never heard of the island racing plate. Jim's modded stocker gained me 2.7 mph. Total gain with Jim's modded R & D was 3.2 mph.
    the performance gains sound similiar to what island racing claims. i have no reason to doubt any of there claims. but, island racing has 3 levels of plate mods. you can check it out @ www.islandracing.net

I think that Island racing is modding the R&D plate - which is part of my problem anyway... so, I am leaning towards Jim's mod on the stock plate for better rough water handling..

+1
    Jim's plate mod is hands down one of the best mods for the SHO. I don't think some people realize just how awesome a gain of 2.7mph is without having to give up much handling at all. You also can't beat the price. Just send him your stock plate!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomjay View Post
    I think that Island racing is modding the R&D plate - which is part of my problem anyway... so, I am leaning towards Jim's mod on the stock plate for better rough water handling..
    island racing will and can mod the oem rideplate as well as a riva and a R&D rideplate.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon lasiter #328 View Post
    as well as a riva.
    Riva does not have a plate for the SHO yet.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    Riva does not have a plate for the SHO yet.
    my error.....
    i assumed they had one out...... most of the aftermarket parts on my SHO are R&D parts. except for the ff exhaust,breather kit,and the exit nozzle.
    i have been looking at doing a plate mod. but, not sure if i will go with jims mod or the islandracing mod.

Thread Information