Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Great Lakes

Great Lakes

This looks like fun, It must be really cool to ride on the great lakes.I live on a lake but we hardly ever see big chop, do the great lakes always have big waves? I want to bring my pro there this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by thester71 View Post

This looks like fun, It must be really cool to ride on the great lakes.I live on a lake but we hardly ever see big chop, do the great lakes always have big waves? I want to bring my pro there this summer.
    The Great Lakes are an absolute blast to ride on! There's so much space to explore that every outing, can be a different experience. We ride on the very southern end of the Detroit River where it meets up with Lake Erie. There's everything from dead calm lagoons where there's plenty of room to drag race or you can get off and swim. There's also many small islands to choose from that you can pull up onto and just kick back and relax. If you move out onto Lake Erie, it's a whole new ballgame. The water can be dead smooth for a far as the eye can see or you might be jumping 3-6 ft waves. You can pin the throttle for miles and miles if you want to. It's also cool to be running around with the freighters and off shore boats that come off the lake and up through the Detroit River shipping channel. There's also lighthouses to see or sometimes we'll go over to the Canadian side of the water and do some exploring. I could go on and on but I think that will give you some idea of what it's like so, come on over, there's plenty of room for everyone.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    We ride Lake Ontario, and large waves are common enough

Have a look in the Local Rides forums. The Great Lakes are really inland seas, and when the wind is blowing in the right directions, waves can build to significant heights.

Small Craft warnings happen often enough.

Given enough fetch and wind speed, peak to trough wave heights can become house sized

When the waves have been powered by winds or a storm far down the lake, you get to play in the waves without fighting the wind or riding in an actual storm.

Typically the wave activity on one side of the lake will be very different from the other side. If there is a North wind blowing across the lake towards Rochester, NY the north shore will have smooth water while Rochester on the south shore will have big onshore waves.

When the wind direction has changed a lot while blowing hard, the wave patterns become confused, making for difficult riding.

Side note: Invasive marine species are an ongoing concern. Not only the widespread and aggressive zebra mussel, but just recently Asian carps DNA has been found in Great Lakes waters. Once a species gets into one great lake, they can propagate to them all.

+1
    I ride north 10 miles from where you guys ride. I stay on lake saint clair. It's huge just by itself. Not really a great lake, but joining lake huron to the detroit river to lake erie. Waves on this lake can whip up in notime. Must be watching the western ski!, From flat to 4 footers everywhere ( i call it milk shake country. Waves goin in every direction, cross chop from 50 footers. waves relentlessly coming fom the south with short intervals. Phew, what a beating that is.lol

Lake michigan can be flat and in 2 hours go to 13 foot waves with a storm coming. been there, seen it. Very cold lake.

Lake erie can be flat as glass like lake saint clair and whip up 10-15 footers in a storm. The lake is relatively shallow for a lake.18-30 foot deep so it churns up hard n fast.

On these lakes, you must have other people with you just in case something happens. coast guard is nowhere to be seen. But there..

Lake saint clair has 3 rivers that feed it from lake huron. The north channel , middle and the south channel. The latter is used for shipping pretty much. In-between the rivers is a series of small bays, snyes,canals,flat shallow areas to stop n take a break, places to eat, gas -here n there. Just have to know where! lol

There places like goose bay, , gull island,strawberry island, lil musacamut bay and fishers bay. All cool places to ride too and hang out or race in the calmer shallower waters. Cruising the syne is a blast too. all calm from the north channel to the south end of strawberry island. Just go full blast on glass! Thats fun..

Lake huron is cold too. Never been on it but, The saint clair river runs from port huron to the 3 rivers and splits up there. Riding the saint clair river is fun too. it's wide.(over 3/4 mile wide) and some days is flat with a 6 knot current and the next day its has a 8 knot current with 3-4 footers rolling down the river. Plust boat traffic waves makes for interesting jumping of waves. Algonac state park in on the river up there and freighters routinely cruise by during the summer months. We chase them and ride around them! Man are they big when your right next to them! lol

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Here near Cleveland, it's pretty mondane.

No cool islands or places to explore.

Just cloudy fresh water for as far as you can see. I say cloudy because it's not that clear blue water where you see to the bottom.

Lake Erie is shallow in comparison to the other great lakes. So it doesn't take much wind to make waves. Hardly ever is it flat. (except 6:00 PM during the week, as you're riding by the lake on your way to bike night)

I love when it starts to storm though. You can get some really big waves (4'-6') with an occaissional, "oh $h!t" to keep you on your toes.

And after the rain subsides, the lake normally lays down pretty flat as the winds die. Then you have the lake all to yourself as everyone has left because of the storm.

That to me is a great day of riding. Jumping big waves at noon, and top speed running at 3PM in the same location.

Now my best reason for liking it up here is the 2 beaches I get to choose from. Less than 5 mins apart riding time.

One is located inside a break wall, and the other on the open lake. Often flatter inside the wall, and choppy/waves on the outer.

Also has the Grande river running out in to the lake which makes for some interesteing water conditions where they meet. Almost always creates good waves for jumping at any time.

I am only 45 mi. to the atlantic ocean, but I don't want to ride in salt water. Wave jumping looks really fun, I gotta do it.

+1
    I ride long point bay which is off Lake Erie.... Long point is a 40km long sand spit the goes out into the middle of erie so i can ride in the bay where there are diffrent sand bars and other areas to go hang out. On any givin day there is all diffrent types of riding to be had from flat water to big waves.

here a longpoint facebook page check out all the pics you see my stomping ground....

http://www.facebook.com/#/visit.longpoint?v=photos

+1
    I am only 45 mi. to the atlantic ocean, but I don't want to ride in salt water. Wave jumping looks really fun, I gotta do it.

Come on down we ride the river for 12 miles then a blast out in the sound then 12 miles (flush) back to the ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsterme View Post
    I ride long point bay which is off Lake Erie.... Long point is a 40km long sand spit the goes out into the middle of erie so i can ride in the bay where there are diffrent sand bars and other areas to go hang out. On any givin day there is all diffrent types of riding to be had from flat water to big waves.

here a longpoint facebook page check out all the pics you see my stomping ground....

http://www.facebook.com/#/visit.longpoint?v=photos
    cool spot, looks like fun

+1
    cool spot, looks like fun

if ur ever in Ont... shot me a msg and ill show you around. Endless white sand beach and crystal clear water. it cant get much better then this...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information