STX15F upgrade question

Hello.Need some advice here. I'm thinking of switching pumps on my 15F. I do have the cold air kit, modded waterbox, R&D plate, Solas 14/20. Will a Skat-Trak 155mm 8 vane pump be too much for this setup? Will I have to repitch the propeller?
    Thanks for you input .

Be more specific with your interpretation of Upgrade?

Are you assuming the pump is going to yield more speed if you upgrade it.

The answer is a tricky one. You will see upgraded handling, upgraded hook up and upgraded rough water speeds. Will you see speed gains, no unless you use rough water as your source of testing speed then yes you'll see speed gains.

Did that answer your question cause I just confused myself.

You did,Skip, thanks. I understand that I will have to put in a different prop though. The one in the pump now is a 148 mm. I will need a 155 mm. Will I see big improvements or just minor ones?

My main turf is ocean riding. So jumping waves is one of the thrills, and it's almost always rough here in North Atlantic.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    I would keep the stock pump, if you want hook up run an intake grate, if you want speed mod your stock one

Sean

Skat Trak

Well, I do have the Aquavein intake already. I just wonder if there will be a lot of difference between the regular pump and the Skat Trak pump. I am running a 14/29, but it seems that I could fit the Skat pump in wit a new prop. The only thing is: is it worth it, being expensive and all? Will it really be flying, so to speak?

Quote Originally Posted by miniion26 View Post
    My main turf is ocean riding. So jumping waves is one of the thrills, and it's almost always rough here in North Atlantic.

Sator veins play a big part in the Skat pumps. The more veins you have the more you can expect suction effect to the water thus speed loss. Pump pressure rises but also volume exit faster making it hit harder and stay hooked, issue there is that the total speed drops off.

If your going 155mm on a 15F then your going to want to up your HP to handle the extra load of a bigger prop and more stators.

Ideally your going to want no more then 8 veins that are typically longer then stock. This will help you in your application but I'm afraid all your going to gain with Skat in your application is a harder bottom hit and better hook up with a cost of 1 - 3 mph loss.

Though that could be good for wave popping, allows you to creep the swell and pin it once it starts to peek. If you see it curl then turn and ride it out. Always aim your jump for a ride plate landing. You flat land this boat and your cracking hull and teeth. You pump land it and your risking pushing the through hull seal out.

I've got it. Since I can not up the HP on the ski more than I already have, I'll probably stay with the stock pump. Can't do any engine mods, since I've got warranty till 2012. Although I was really curios to see the difference....Oh well, maybe I'll go with a 250, my dealer has 2007 leftovers for only 7500..who knows? Thanks for the input, guys.

I see that 155 mm impellers are different. They are 9/17 and 10/18/. doesn't Ultra LX use one of those? And they do it with a 15F NA engine, don't they?Hmmmm.If I get my ski to be lighter and more powerful, this might just work...

Thread Information