Thread: Impellors

+1

Impellors

Impellors,Impellors, Impellors.. Aren't there like 2500 different ones? Can someone outline props in general..

I know there is,progressive pitch, constant pitch, swirls, slims,skat trax,oem.nujet, high leading edge, low leading edge, high pitch, low pitch, 3- blade, 4-blade,holeshot, top end, 140mm size pump,144mm pump,148mm pump, att with prop or not?, Nose cone size, 5-vein,6-vein,8-vein,12vein 80 HP,95HP,135HP, bigger jets,bigger prop? RPM? Geez, you could write a book about it.lol Can anyone make heads or tails of this? What a selection.

I mean, give me a break here. How the heck is anyone suppose to know what to use besides a chart.

God help ya if you mod your ski. now your really into a pickle choosing. I guess you buy 5 props and try um all huh? lol

Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    Impellors,Impellors, Impellors.. Aren't there like 2500 different ones? Can someone outline props in general..

I know there is,progressive pitch, constant pitch, swirls, slims,skat trax,oem.nujet, high leading edge, low leading edge, high pitch, low pitch, 3- blade, 4-blade,holeshot, top end, 140mm size pump,144mm pump,148mm pump, att with prop or not?, Nose cone size, 5-vein,6-vein,8-vein,12vein 80 HP,95HP,135HP, bigger jets,bigger prop? RPM? Geez, you could write a book about it.lol Can anyone make heads or tails of this? What a selection.

I mean, give me a break here. How the heck is anyone suppose to know what to use besides a chart.

God help ya if you mod your ski. now your really into a pickle choosing. I guess you buy 5 props and try um all huh? lol
    Unless your going with a really exotic setup, I'm sure somebody around here can tell you from experience wich prop to use.

+1
    Print a pitch gauge and bend them your self.

+1
    Some basic questions first.

Company names:

Nu-jet
    Skat-trax
    Polaris OEM
    Impros
    Solas

Types
    3-blade
    4-blade

Pitch availability
    10 to 26?

Pump Size
    140mm
    144mm
    148mm

Design type
    slim line,full nose(like a oem),others????-help!!

Just starting here, i may be wrong. lol please tell me what to add where. like company names or anything else We should all know about. Are there 3 pump sizes? Not sure.

Lower pitch = hole shot

Higher pitch= top speed

high leading, low trailing =
    low leading, high trailing=

used for?

Blade thickness come into play? flat edges on sides of blades or tapered?

I think Lugs said a 10/18 for myPro the way its going to be set up for low end. What does that exactly mean? 10 degrees? 18 degree progrssive pitch? or constant? which would I use? is there such a thing? or just dont worry about it like you said and just go on previous experience.

sweet, found 1 answer.

The numbers refer to the outer blade angle of each impeller blade. Although commonly used in this industry, the word pitch does not apply to a PWC impeller the way it does a boat propeller. Where the pitch on a boat prop refers to the distance the unit moves forward per revolution, PWC impellers use numbers that reflect the outer blade angle, which identify how aggressive the impeller is, and also as stated in the question is a “label” to distinct between other labeled impellers for ease of applying each impeller to a particular watercraft. The number of that angle cannot always be taken literally, because all of the impeller manufacturers today have been known to slightly change an angle or length of the blade to optimize performance, and not change the ID of the impeller because the label of that impeller is already known to perform with certain characteristics on certain watercraft.

A swirl type would be good for low -med range? why exactly does a swirl type work so well? whats the difference between another type? the pitch or wider blades?

I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    ...How the heck is anyone suppose to know what to use besides a chart?...
    The impeller charts get you into the ballpark.

Experience, both your own and that of others, gets you closer.

Then you fine tune your impeller's pitch based on the performance of your particular machine.

Impellers always have two pitch numbers, the leading edge, and the trailing edge. The trailing pitch mostly determines thrust at peak RPM and hull speed.

The leading edge pitch affects how the impeller 'bites' the water, affecting acceleration. The actual blades change pitch as they spiral from the leading to the trailing edges.

The gap between the leading and trailing edge pitch numbers is an indicator of how much mid-range engine power it will take to twist the impeller into the high RPM zone.

Overall, lower pitch values allow the engine to rev higher, bite the water harder, and accelerate harder.

If the trailing edge pitch is too low, the engine will over-rev as the hull picks up speed, since the shallow pitch doesn't fully transform the engine RPM into thrust.

Except for the 1992-1993 146mm jet pumps, all 1994-2004 Polaris sit-down PWC use 148mm diameter jet pumps, also called modular pumps.

I think the stand-up Octane model uses a smaller diameter 140mm jet pump, with a limited range of impeller pitches available.

There has been lots of good info posted in various places regarding impellers.

Driveline/Propulsion
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Impeller article - 'In search of 49 percent', page 1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	169546   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Impeller article - 'In search of 49 percent', page 2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	269.7 KB 
ID:	169547   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Impeller article - 'In search of 49 percent', page 3.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	169548   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Impeller article - 'In search of 49 percent', page 4.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	169549  

+1
    Great reading on the impros props. ty hyoctane And K-447. I read it all. Still very complicated. All the manufactures make them different it seems. I'm hoping to see some new pumps out in the future,,composites and new designs.

Thread Information