Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

possible to run without thermostat?

is it possible to run without an thermostat in the thermostat housing..
    I live in the south carribean.. so the temp is always hi arround here..
    Because i thought.. my ski would need al the cooling that is possible..
    please give me your oppinion..
    greetz

+1
    Yes, but I think you'll find it isn't the best method to acheive what you're trying to do. At a minimum, you would need a temperature gauge. I would lean more towards the rotax 131 degree thermostat or an open loop kit.

+1

thanks

just trying to figure it out..
    dont know wich effect the thermostat had on the distribution within the therostathousing..
    because i think when you take the thermostat away.. it would cool more..

Banned User
    +1
    Too much cooling will not allow both the oil and block proper operating temp...

My SUV had that disease. Cacked up the hydraulic lifters, and they rattled like hell.

Gauge was telling lies about temp of the engine, and economy was lousy.

ECU was all the time trying to heat up the engine, so it ran like a three-legged dog too.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    I don't think you would have any problems. It would take a few minutes longer for the engine to reach operating temp but after that a 131 thermo would stay open constantly in your conditions. Danny did some testing of the different cooling methods and I surmised from his numbers that the thermo is pretty much useless. Do like the open loop guys and install a ball valve on the hose going to the ride plate and you can fine tune the temps.

Danny, didn't you test a stock thermo and a Riva and the numbers showed that once they reached operating temps both ski's were the same temp or was that someone else? Got the link to that testing you did?

I think the oil needs to reach 180f for the engine to be at optimal operating temp. That is the number I have stuck in my head but I may be wrong. Keep in mind the oil will be hotter than the water.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Richieb View Post
    My SUV had that disease. Cacked up the hydraulic lifters, and they rattled like hell.

ECU was all the time trying to heat up the engine, so it ran like a three-legged dog too.

HEY! I have a 3 legged dog, and he's just as fast as my 4 legged model.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    I don't think you would have any problems. It would take a few minutes longer for the engine to reach operating temp but after that a 131 thermo would stay open constantly in your conditions. Danny did some testing of the different cooling methods and I surmised from his numbers that the thermo is pretty much useless. Do like the open loop guys and install a ball valve on the hose going to the ride plate and you can fine tune the temps.

Danny, didn't you test a stock thermo and a Riva and the numbers showed that once they reached operating temps both ski's were the same temp or was that someone else? Got the link to that testing you did?

I think the oil needs to reach 180f for the engine to be at optimal operating temp. That is the number I have stuck in my head but I may be wrong. Keep in mind the oil will be hotter than the water.

WTF you talking about Rodney!

I tested the cooling ability of the ride plate and compared it to various heat exchangers, thus allowing people to run a different internal heat exchanger and utilize the Open Loop plates to gain handling and speed...while retaining the closed loop cooling.

Open Loop cooling has been the hot topic the last several months, with individuals having issues either getting to or maintaining decent operating temps. Even Riva included a small thermostat to regulate the water flow through the block to obtain proper temps.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Richieb View Post

The A/F ratio was very rich, and my cat's breathe smells like cat food...

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Danny, didn't you test a stock setup though. It was a while back so I can't remember. I probably saw your data and somebody elses and put 2 and 2 together. I would like to see you test a stocker and a Riva thermo and see if there is any difference once they reach operating temp. Your tests are always thorough.

You don't have to test today as I bet it is kinda cold in your neck of the woods.

I know the open loop needs a thermo since it is so efficient. I am talking closed loop only. I wouldn't run a thermo if I had an open loop though due to the large variances in temp but rather meter the flow of water with a valve and adjust it for changing conditions. In open loop I feel a water temp gauge is a must.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information