2002 gp1200r with no catalytic converter

MY uncle took the catalytic converter off his ski so he would not have to run semi synthetic is this a bad move and will it affect the longevity. What oil would you recommend using for this machine now. it is all stock

FIRST your post is very confusing, SECOND try the search tab you will be amazed at all you find, THIRD you cant take the cat out without using a d-plate and taking out the cat is a great idea it wont harm anything all the ski's shipped overseas had a d-plate instead of a cat. from Yamaha. if you dont know what a d-plate is refer back to my second statement, FOURTH ... (If I am reading your post corectly) He should be taking out the cat conv. so he CAN run premix not so that he does not have to. AND LAST you ask what oil to use? refer back to my second statement again. Tons of great info on this site all you have to do is find it. Good Luck!

Alright thanks for the insight im new to the hole forum thing and im just trying to turn around and sell the ski and i was trying to get some more information, im pretty sure the D plate was installed. Would you still run the yama lube 2w or run something else. searched forum and found nothing on best oil to use.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...and+stroke+oil

this is one of many posts about what two stroke oil to use. There are quite a few.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelchild41 View Post
    Alright thanks for the insight im new to the hole forum thing and im just trying to turn around and sell the ski and i was trying to get some more information, im pretty sure the D plate was installed. Would you still run the yama lube 2w or run something else. searched forum and found nothing on best oil to use.
    You have to have the d-plate installed or it won't create back pressure which the 2 strokes need. Yes yamaha 2w is fine to run.

+1
    I would switch to AMSOIL INTERCEPTOR in the PV engine GPRs. The yamalube leaves the PVs totally sludged up. I am glad I switched to the AMSOIL full synthetic.

Moderated
    getting rid of the cat is a good move becausxe they tend to break down and cause problems...they are also quite restrictive..

once you remove the cat and install a dplate you can run pretty much whatever oil you want but the general concensus is amsoil interceptor is the way to fly...I recently swapped over to it myself and my ski runs much cleaner now with way less smoke.

FYI : you dont install a Dplate so you can run premix ( premix is removing the oil pump and also a highly reccomended mod for a gpr) as someone incorrectly said above, you install a dplate so you do not have to worry about the cat breaking down and ruining your motor...only australian spec GPR's came from factory with a dplate ( i know my 02 model did) because our emmission laws are a bit more lax then the USA's and thats all the cat is for, emmission standards.

ps: welcome to the board.

+1
    Welcome to the forum! Everything said above is the information izzo stated. Us GPR guys knew exactly what you meant.
    and as stated above the search and advanced search feature is an awesome resource for GPR or any other PWC related information.

As for the choice of oil, I suggest Amsoil interceptor. For a gp1200r the jetworks O-plate works very well. The D-plate is excellent as well and is available in the online store here on the forum.

Benefits of eliminating the cat-con also helps remove heat (lower) temps in the hull. He exothermic reaction that the catalytic converter exhibits produces a lot of heat.

+1
    To add, there is a required amount of backpressure needed in the exhaust system for optimum performance, that's why the d-plate and o-plates were developed.

Thread Information