1997 monte carlo 1000 question

I am looking at getting a 1997 tigershark 1000 montecarlo jet ski. I guess it turns over but won't start but when the spark plugs are out ( no compression) it will turn over faster. Any ideas on what I may be looking at. I want to have it as a project but dont want to have to buy a whole new engine. I rebuilt my harley last year and had fun so I figures this could be something to do before it gets warm. Thanks

Has it been sitting for a while? Might just be all gummed up from sitting. Could also be a weak stater motor or a weak battery. You could get it and it be junk but for the most part if it turns over and all the parts look to be there I think it would be worth getting. The 1000 should be fun to ride around.

Thanks for the information. I want something to work on but don't want to have to replace the motors in 2 of the. I an going to look at them next weekend to check them out. I figured I would check compression on them and then decide what to do. Anything I should look out for specifically with these models.

As long as the motor is not 100% shot like it threw a rod thru the cases or cylinders you should be ok. You can still get used parts for these things easy and they dont cost too much. Biggest thing you could check would be compression. Besides that it would just be all the small stuff. Condition of carbs (your more them likely going to rebuild them anyway), look in the pump in the back with a flashlight. Try to shine the flashlight under the ski by the intake grate facing into the pump. Then look thru the back nozzle and see if you see the light around the impeller. Should be a nice even gap all the way around. If it has some damage or looks like its hitting somewhere the wear ring in the pump might be swelling from corrioson. Even if it is you could just replace the wear ring and put a new prop in there but you might be able to beat the guy down on the price if you find stuff like that.

When you checking compression just make sure the battery is good. If you know the battery that is in the ski is bad bring a jumper box or a good spare battery you have around. Otherwise it might only show its going 80 psi compression when really its fine.

Again thank you for the information. I have a jumper box I am taking with me to go check them out. If the starter is bad and cant spin it full power will that effect the compression I get. Like I said I have rebuild harly's but jet skis are a little bit different. Still should be fun

If the starter is weak it will effect the compression a little but just use your judment. If it sounds like its turning over fast I am sure you will get a good reading. Make sure you pull all the spark plugs out and hold it full throttle when you test it. As far as rebuilding the engine it will not be that hard. If you have worked on things before like you said you rebuilt motorcycle you will be fine. Just get a manual and make sure you dont miss any of the small steps or just ask on here if you got any questions. There are a couple tigershark experts on the internet that know quite a bit. Good luck with your ski.

Planning to go check them out Sat. We shall see

OK. I went ahead and bought them. I think one is going to just need a starter and the other might need some engine work. I was able to get 2 of them a shuttlecraft and a trailer for 1800. Is SBT a good place to get engine parts that I may need? I have kind of seen mixed reviews and I know for ski number 2 I am going to need some stuff. If not any other suggestion where I may find them? Thanks

Well with the jet ski out of the shuttlecraft I was able to take a better look at it. Noticed there was 2 cycle in the hull. It was more than It should have been I believe. Once I get into it(probably this weekend) I am going to check and see in something came off on an oil line somewhere. I am considering removing the oil injection at this point too. I have it on my polaris sl 650 and it works well so I will have to decide what I want to do there. I am also planning to make a cart for the other one saturday too. I pulled the radio out of the shuttlecraft because it was a POS made by audiovox that didn"t work. I can put one back in before summer. I took some rubbing compound to the shuttlecraft and it worked very well.Both the shuttlecaft and jet skis should clean up real nice. I have a few upholstery issues to work on but that will probably wait until summer too. I will probably be using the shuttle craft when my daughters are at my house and the ski by itself when they are not. I will try to get some pictures on here later. They are very dirty but I plan on getting them cleaned up a bit tonight. I think I am going to take the shuttlecraft sticker of the front because it is very faded. I am excited to get this things running and ready

Thread Information