Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

starter wont turn --HELP

1997 sltx. engine is removed but is still connected to electrical box. e box is open

ok. battery is full, 12.5 volts. when i jump the the solenoid with a screwdriver or pliers the starter engages and engine spins freely. so soleoid and starter motor are good, right?

i connect the black lead of the tester to the battery negative post and the red to the engine block 0 volts with and without starter button depressed

with the black multifunction tester probe on the black battery terminal and the red touching anything black in the electrical box i read form 10.9 to 11.49 volts. from a previous thread k447 replied to isn't everything supposed to read 0.

what next? i thought i could but i can't follow the manuals testing sequence.
    Last edited by pslt780; 01-27-2010 at 07:30 PM. Reason: new info

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is there a thin black wire connecting the electrical box to the battery negative?

If not, do you have the Ignition Upgrade Kit installed, or the original ignition CDI?

that wire is disconnected, ank i am pretty sure it was when i bought it.
    i THINK but not sure i have the ignition update. the # on the ignition coil is 4060 153. arent the old ones ending in 170or 180?

since i posted i disconnected the wire from the solenoid out of the e box connected this to the + probe to this wire, grounded the - probe pushed the starter button and no voltage

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pslt780 View Post
    that wire is disconnected, and i am pretty sure it was when i bought it.

i THINK but not sure i have the ignition update.

the # on the ignition coil is 4060 153. arent the old ones ending in 170or 180?

since i posted i disconnected the wire from the solenoid out of the e box connected this to the + probe to this wire, grounded the - probe pushed the starter button and no voltage
    The ignition coils are not changed when an update kit is installed on a three cylinder engine.

The CDI part number, not the coil part number, will tell you whether the ignition has been updated. Look on front and back of the CDI, some have a second hand marked part number in yellow or white on the reverse side.

Not sure what wires you are disconnecting or testing there

i didn't hook up the thin black wire b/c i wasn't sure where it went, was pretty sure it wasn't connected when i bought it, and jay at sharp's said if the update was installed and i hooked it up i might fry the ignition. ouch. but if it had been updated why would the dealer leave the wire there. why not cut it off???

is the cdi box the black box next to the solenoid in the (upper?) half of the electrical box? if so the part # is 4060170.

sorry no photos i left my camera at work. i disconnected the big red wire that leaves the solenoid and i see now this just goes straight to the starter motor. again i am trying to follow the manual starter trouble shooting guide. page 7.24 of the manual

+1
    is the cdi box the black box next to the solenoid in the (upper?) half of the electrical box?

if so the part # is 4060170...
    4060170 would be an original, non-updated CDI.

That means the thin black wire from the electrical box black terminal group should be re-connected to the battery negative terminal.

Disconnect the battery positive while you re-connect this small black wire, and of course also connect the heavy black battery cable.

Confirm with your multi-meter that the electrical box black wires measure zero ohms to both the battery negative post, and the engine block.

Reconnect the heavy red wire from the starter motor to the solenoid terminal post.

Then reconnect the heavy red battery wire to the battery positive. Make very sure you do not have the battery connections reversed.

Confirm that you measure zero volts between battery negative post and black wires inside electrical box.

Then confirm you have about 12 volts on Red/Purple wires in electrical box.

If all these measure correctly, try cranking the engine.

ok i'm going to watch the state of the union address, then i'll do all this and post results tomorrow.

thanks!!! for your help.

ok i'm going to watch the state of the union address, then i'll do all this and post results tomorrow.

thanks!!! for your help.

Huh??

everything hooked up 0 voltage to all the black wires and 12.39 to all the purple wires. press starter button and engine turns freely. wha la! problem resolved.

new question. now that the starter is working i would like to do a cmpression test on the center and pto cylinder. can this be done with the carbs, intake manifold and exhaust system and exhaust manifold removed?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information