Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Richieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    1,001

    Mobile telephone for the Jet Ski rider. YA GOTTA HAVE ONE

    Hi all, and as the season is on the green light, I thought I'd offer up my experience with a Mobile telephone I purchased last October.

    AND NO..!!, I am not associated in ANY way with selling, or the company, IT IS just a good product.

    The Sonim Mobile HAS got to be the best thing I have bought in a long time. It is regularly dropped, wet, and tested by the masses that see it.

    I carry this mobile with me all the time on my Ski, and with wetted, gloved hands, I often check in with the management, or receive calls while on the water.

    I ride rough sea at times, and this mobile is always by my side somewhere, and generally is wet all the time.

    I have thrown it across the kitchen, landed it in the sink, answered calls in the shower... and it still works perfectly..!!

    I have dropped it from quite a height, and it just keeps on working.... WELL... They say you can roll a car over it... SO I DID.... 2.2 tonnes of Jackaroo.... AND IT STILL WORKS, AND NO DISCERABLE DAMAGE TO IT EITHER..!!

    One hell of a good part of the Ski equipment. ONE VERY LOUD RING TOO...!!

    Linki is here.. Sonim Technologies: Products - XP3 Features
    Last edited by Richieb; 01-28-2010 at 12:07 AM. Reason: more info.


  2. #2
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,584
    +1
    1,272
    Looks like a tough mobile phone

    Note for the US guys - this is a GSM phone, so it will only work on the GSM networks in the US. I think than includes AT&T, T-Mobile, but not Verizon or Nextel

    In Canada, only Rogers or Fido have voice GSM.
    Bell & Telus have GSM 3G only, but not basic GSM voice.

    XP3 User manual

    Sold in the US at Best Buy

  3. #3
    Site Admin MikeTrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Overland Park, ks
    Posts
    4,199
    +1
    51
    That's the unbreakable phone the bbc reproter broke at a product demo...

    http://www.breitbart.tv/bbc-reporter...eakable-phone/

  4. #4
    Hydrotoys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    16,712
    +1
    85
    I'm thinking about one of these as well.

  5. #5
    H2HO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    4,063
    +1
    11
    I just bought a VHF radio that is bluetooth so I can keep my current phone in the glovebox and talk through my radio.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cobra.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	169974  

  6. #6
    Richieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    1,001
    I just use the mobile. I get a hold of it, and salt water or what ever, it is in use.

    Easy maintenance.... I just sit it on the ski while hosing it down.

    Interesting VHF with B Tooth, gonna have a look at one I think.

    One of the plus points is one can be pin-pointed in a big ocean if the mobile is still charged, and beaconing for a tower. Good safety equipment too.

  7. #7
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,584
    +1
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by H2HO View Post
    I just bought a VHF radio that is bluetooth so I can keep my current phone in the glovebox and talk through my radio.
    I do like the idea of using the VHF as an external handset for the mobile phone.

    I also like the instant rewind 'say again' feature on that Cobra VHF radio. I can see that being useful when you don't quite hear what the other end just said. Just play it again

    What I would like to find is a Bluetooth wireless headset that would work while riding on the water.
    Waterproof+Bluetooth headset would be good

    So far, the closest I have found are motorcycle headsets, but the waterproof aspect seems limited, more like rain resistant.

  8. #8
    H2HO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    4,063
    +1
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I do like the idea of using the VHF as an external handset for the mobile phone.

    I also like the instant rewind 'say again' feature on that Cobra VHF radio. I can see that being useful when you don't quite hear what the other end just said. Just play it again

    What I would like to find is a Bluetooth wireless headset that would work while riding on the water.
    Waterproof+Bluetooth headset would be good

    So far, the closest I have found are motorcycle headsets, but the waterproof aspect seems limited, more like rain resistant.
    I like the wireless headset idea. A helmet would probably be required to keep it from flying off, or is there another way of keeping it on your ear?

  9. #9
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,584
    +1
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by H2HO View Post
    I like the wireless headset idea.

    A helmet would probably be required to keep it from flying off, or is there another way of keeping it on your ear?
    There are over-the-head and behind-the-head types.

    Another possibility is wearing a fabric or neoprene headband over the ears to hold an earpiece in place, like an ear warmer.



  10. #10
    H2HO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    4,063
    +1
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    There are over-the-head and behind-the-head types.

    Another possibility is wearing a fabric or neoprene headband over the ears to hold an earpiece in place, like an ear warmer.


    Those look a little bulky. I need something to fit in my ear, then as you said, use a head band.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. When In Doubt, Go For Trout--Jet Ski Fishing "The Cove"
    By jetskibrian in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-27-2009, 06:24 PM
  2. Chrome for the jet
    By RXP Blur in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 11:28 PM
  3. Would an afterburner be possible for a jet ski?
    By Camy1448 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 09-06-2007, 07:19 PM
  4. need help for 1st jet-ski
    By jt98boosted in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-30-2007, 02:15 PM
  5. Lifting the Jet Ski
    By WAMason in forum Shops, Tools and Tricks
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-04-2006, 08:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •