Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tampa SeaDoo Crew TampaSpeedster's Avatar

Jesus Himself Tightened My S/C Bolt... It's Stuck... Opinions?

Hey guys, hope all is well. I recently purchased an X-charger for my Speedster 150. I've owned a ton of boosted cars over the years and work on everything myself, I'm no stranger to engines.

For some (unlucky) reason, the bolt on the S/C that is a bitch to get to seems almost welded in there. I have the E8 socket and the 1/4'' box end wrench. I twisted the E8 socket on there with enough force to mangle the head of the bolt a little, and I dont want to go any further.

Does anyone have any other bright ideas? I tried applying some heat to the area to loosen up the locktite - that didn't work either. I'm almost at the point of cutting the head of the bolt off with air tools . TIA

+1
    Knock the head with a chisel in the loosening direction. Been there done that. If that fails cut the head off.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaSpeedster View Post
    Hey guys, hope all is well. I recently purchased an X-charger for my Speedster 150. I've owned a ton of boosted cars over the years and work on everything myself, I'm no stranger to engines.

For some (unlucky) reason, the bolt on the S/C that is a bitch to get to seems almost welded in there. I have the E8 socket and the 1/4'' box end wrench. I twisted the E8 socket on there with enough force to mangle the head of the bolt a little, and I dont want to go any further.

Does anyone have any other bright ideas? I tried applying some heat to the area to loosen up the locktite - that didn't work either. I'm almost at the point of cutting the head of the bolt off with air tools . TIA
    That's what you will have to do. Just replace that bolt with a hex head and make it easier on yourself next time. Most people Dremeled the head off removed the SC and then were able to remove the remaining stud with vise grips.

+1
    You might try a good set of long nose vise grip also - stainless is not that strong unless hardened

Glad I'm not the only person that this has happened to. That bolt is absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention, I have to sit IN the engine compartment to fiddle with it... I've got cramps in places I didn't know could get cramps.

I'll try the chisel method first to try and break it loose. If that doesn't work, I think i'll try and chisel or cut the head off

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    we must have the same mechanic because jesus built my hot rod

Quote Originally Posted by Region8Ultra250X View Post
    we must have the same mechanic because jesus built my hot rod
    Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet. /Ministry

SPEED COMES 1/10 @ A TIME SpeedFreeks Racing's Avatar
    +1

heat...

i would first try to heat it up with a map gas torch where the threads are or heat the head of the bolt if you cant get to the threaded area. be carefull not to burn $hit up.

you can even use a good heat gun if you have... so you dont need to worry about the flame. you may even need to heat it a few more times on the way out if the bolt starts getting tight again.

hope this helps.... works for me all the time.

+1
    This doesnt have anything to do with getting your bolt off, but one thing I always do, is the top bolt that is hard to get too, is always the first one in and last one out.
    By doing this you can rock the sc back and forth and get most of the bolt in or out with your fingers.
    JME

Quote Originally Posted by TampaSpeedster View Post

lol. remember when I sold you the SC, I told you to prepare yourself for it??

Try more heat before you cut anything. Use a torch.
    keep your cool. If you strip it, youll create new problems for yourself.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information