Addicted Member
    +1

Titanium Supercharger Wheel

I thought I'd post this in the General Discussion area to get the most exposure.

Why aren't supercharger wheels available in titanium?

I did some searching and couldn't find anything on the GH forum specifically about titanium wheels and only found patent info on the web.

Seems like this would be an awesome application for the wheels and would help in a lot of ways. Specifically, it seems like the clutches would last a lot longer from less rotating mass. Production of some (a lot) of wheels currently available are investment cast which is the same way a lot of titanium parts are manufactured.

Any thoughts?

cheatin' piston popper
    +1
    cost prohibitive. big time! but it would be cool. especially for the doo chargers.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette
    Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    cost prohibitive. big time! but it would be cool. especially for the doo chargers.
    I can't really imagine that, especially since most ski parts are priced like they are made from unobtainium now.

Side note: I have been using unobtainium long before Avatar came out, in fact I was pissed that they were using my word instead of a real material

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthAWM View Post
    I can't really imagine that, especially since most ski parts are priced like they are made from unobtainium now.

Side note: I have been using unobtainium long before Avatar came out, in fact I was pissed that they were using my word instead of a real material
    I'm pretty sure it not "your word" since it has been around since at least 1957 when Langley Aeronautical engineers explained to NASA the need for a yet undiscovered metal alloy needed for winged reentry vehicles (first documented use of the word I could find).

Oakley trademarked the word in 1987.

Stories have it that Lockheed Corporation engineers used the word as a dysphemism (yes, they dissed stuff way back then too) for Titanium while building thr SR-71 in the early 60's. The Soviets had cornered the market on Ti to keep the U.S military from obtaining it. The CIA had to set up a shell European Corporation to stockpile enough Ti for the first SR-71's to be built.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the_more_you_know2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	170216  

Addicted Member
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    Would two to three times the price of a "normal" SC wheel be prohibitive? I would think they could be investment cast for that amount.

And at that price, I would consider one. Justification could be the increased performance as well as increased clutch life.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    I'm pretty sure it not "your word" since it has been around since at least 1957 when Langley Aeronautical engineers explained to NASA the need for a yet undiscovered metal alloy needed for winged reentry vehicles (first documented use of the word I could find).

Oakley trademarked the word in 1987.

Stories have it that Lockheed Corporation engineers used the word as a dysphemism (yes, they dissed stuff way back then too) for Titanium while building thr SR-71 in the early 60's. The Soviets had cornered the market on Ti to keep the U.S military from obtaining it. The CIA had to set up a shell European Corporation to stockpile enough Ti for the first SR-71's to be built.
    True but I wanted to distinguish that I am not simply copying Avatar

cheatin' piston popper
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    Would two to three times the price of a "normal" SC wheel be prohibitive? I would think they could be investment cast for that amount.

And at that price, I would consider one. Justification could be the increased performance as well as increased clutch life.
    Im not an expert in the processing, but I know that ti melts at a much higher temp than aluminum, and it it much harder to machine. That alone would at raise the price significantly. more if the existing molds cannot be used.

Than you have a lightweight wheel that has no performace advantage other than the clutches last an hour or 3 longer. you can buy alot of clutch washers for the price difference. Sure theres a few people out there that would spend the $, but i doubt most would. since the volumes would be small, the price would have to be higher to justify the work, ect.

KC
    Maybe they should invest on making them from Adamantium.

Thread Information