New FZS questions?

Hi Yammy fans,
    I am about to jump ship and join you guys after months of pondering.
    Going to sell my stage one kitted 15F although its been a great fun ski for the last 12months just lacks some ponies now i am totally used to it.

I don't have a dealer here who can give me a ride on an FZS/R so i am going to order one anyway.

My mate has a FXSHO and I love the ponies in this one and its a nice ride but hope the FZ series is alot more playfull? I am chasing the playfullness that I had with 15F especially in the surf but want more grunt.

I liked the FXsho but will the FZS seem like a 15F on steroids?
    I see all the great progress you guys are having with the mods so I will probally do a few as well down the track.

I need a 3seater so on the odd occasion I can take my 2 kids out on tubes etc, and this in turn keeps the wife happy, so I can keep spending money on fast toys.

Is there any mechanical/performance differences between the 09 and 10 models or is it just colour as the 09's are about 1K cheaper ATM ?

I rember reading ages ago your best putting somesort of grate on this ski to stop bucking, whats the best one to get with my new ski?

I heard all sorts of issues with other charged skis but are these SHO engines proving very reliable long term say 300hrs?
    I put about 150 to180 hrs a year on my skis over the last 5 years and am totally addicted to jetskiing so want reliability.
    Although I tend to get a new ski every 2 years my mates usually buy them of me.

If I import one to Australia myself it works out 7K cheaper than the local dealers but with no local warranty, what has been the worst case warranty repair you have seen on one of these skis in the first 12 months?

If I mod this ski I won't get a warranty anyway so the 7K saving I coud put towards some go-fast bits to get it pumping.

Anyway enough rambling and can't wait to get new FZS on the water as soon as I sell my 15F.

Regards Matt.

+1
    two of the boys i ride with have just swapped too fzs's from 15f's and they love them
    they say the fzs turns and handles the rough way better than the 15f
    fuel use is heaps worse though
    at the moment we are geting just better than 2km per liter. ie; 117 km traveled 55 liters to fill
    we have only put 9 hours approx 400 km on the skis so far

no serious dramas that i have heard of
    the 2010 model got an upgraded washer and impeller to try and stop pump bearings failing due to a damaged seal

kev

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by coldspace View Post
    ...Although I tend to get a new ski every 2 years my mates usually buy them of me.

If I import one to Australia myself it works out 7K cheaper than the local dealers but with no local warranty, what has been the worst case warranty repair you have seen on one of these skis in the first 12 months?

If I mod this ski I won't get a warranty anyway so the 7K saving I could put towards some go-fast bits to get it pumping...
    Have you considered importing 2 or 3 at the same time, sell the 'extra' skis when they arrive, and consider the profit on them to be your 'warranty money' for the one you keep.

Thanks guys for the imput.

Can't wait to get new ski.
    Good idea mate about bringing in a few skis but ATM I will only be able to afford one and I don't want the hassel of selling smeone a dud.

Can anyone tell me if I need to get a new grate for the bucking issue on the FZS or does this only concern the modded FZR riders?

Matt.

Thanks guys for the imput.

Can't wait to get new ski.
    Good idea mate about bringing in a few skis but ATM I will only be able to afford one and I don't want the hassel of selling smeone a dud.

Can anyone tell me if I need to get a new grate for the bucking issue on the FZS or does this only concern the modded FZR riders?

Matt.
    Get the R&D intake grate yamaha has not made a good safe intake grate for many years i would do the pump stuffer kit while under there.

+1
    The general consensus is that the intake grate for both the FZS and FZR should be replaced if the ski goes faster than stock. I went with the R & D and like the hookup with very minimal top speed loss.

Good luck!

Thanks guys.

Thread Information