Fuel tank removal on '96 SLTX - how do you get to the bolts?

I wanted to pull the tank and drain the old gas before I drop the motor back in to the hull.

I can't even see the bolts that hold the fuel tank down. The hull foam is in the way and it doesn't seam like it can really move very well.

Is there a trick I'm missing to get around the foam? It almost seems like the foam can pull forward and out of the front hood, but I didn't want to force it.

HALP!!!

+1
    It's been a while since I removed mine but if I'm not mistaken there is an indention on the side of the tank that corresponds to each of the four bolts. Use a long extension and I believe a 13mm socket to remove the bolts. Before you reinstall the tank glue #7 in the picture to the hull. When reinstalling the tank there are several methods to keep the bolt in the socket as you lower it down the side of the tank. Some use a small magnet inside the socket, some put a small dab of grease in the socket. I use electrical tape, wrap it around the socket and extension to keep the socket from falling off. Put the bolt in the socket and use one wrap of tape at the base of the socket so it just does overhang. bend the overhang inward to keep the bolt in place. Sometime the overhanging tape gets caught between the bolt head and hull bottom. That's why the socket is taped to the extension, so it won't come off if you have to apply a little pressure to lift the socket off the bolt. It's low tech but it works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tank.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	170246  

Man, I completely missed the "slots" along the sides of the tank all these times I looked at it.

I turns out two of the four bolts were missing from the previous owner.

Now that I managed to get the tank lose and the sender out, how does the tank come out? I wasn't able to slide it all the way back and take it out through the engine bay. I just barely couldn't clear the top part under the handlebar area. And it definitely doesn't want to come out through the front hood.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    And it definitely doesn't want to come out through the front hood.
    It may not want to but that's the way it comes out. I used vaseline on the sides of the tank to remove and install it.

I spent hours trying to get my tank back-in using grease in the socket. After I would get one bolt the next would drop off the socket and I would need to take the tank out again. The magnet would not work because the bolts are stainless steel. The electrical tape idea sounds great, I will need to remember this if I do it in the future.

+1
    Take some black sticky butyl..(like for plugging window leaks). its strechy and sticky. Put a little piece inside the socket and jam the bolt in the socket. it will hold the bolt for ya as you go in to get the bolt in the hole with the extention.

Heres an example of how well it works. You can take a long pump bolt and suspend it in the air with the butyl and the bolt wont come out of the socket. works great! The butyl comes off easily after the bolt goes in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0526.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	275.6 KB 
ID:	170437   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0527.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	390.2 KB 
ID:	170438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0528.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	170439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0529.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	338.0 KB 
ID:	170440   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0530.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	396.3 KB 
ID:	170441  

Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    Take some black sticky butyl..(like for plugging window leaks). its strechy and sticky. Put a little piece inside the socket and jam the bolt in the socket. it will hold the bolt for ya as you go in to get the bolt in the hole with the extention.

Heres an example of how well it works. You can take a long pump bolt and suspend it in the air with the butyl and the bolt wont come out of the socket. works great! The butyl comes off easily after the bolt goes in.

That's a very good idea. In fact, I have a giant roll of bituminous waterproofing membrane sitting in my office for a railroad bridge we're building. It would work perfect for this. I'll have to remember to snip of a piece of it tomorrow.

I managed to get the tank out....with a little help from a pry bar. It was like the hull was giving birth to a 14.5 gallon fuel tank.

I'm sure glad I did though. There was about 5 gallons of "gas" in there that looked more like a mix of kerosene and diesel.

I was also missing two of the four bolts and bushings on it. Obviously the previous owner had removed it before. Fortunately I managed to find some spares in my stockpile.

This has got to be one of the dumber designed parts I've seen in these hulls. Like they couldn't have just made a bigger notch in the hull foam surrounding the tank!

+1
    They do that on purpose...they want you to have to bring it in. I've never been able to get the tank out the front, only the back.

Thread Information