What's involved in 951 swap to 97xp.. Worth it? Who's done it?

Hey guys, I see a few swap threads on getting a 951 into a X-4 hull, but nothing on swapping to a 97 hull.... I just bought one with a blown motor and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth going with the bigger motor for the money.. Can carbs or anything off the 800 be used...Is there a thread on this I'm missing.. Any info is very appreciated.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    nothing off the 787 motor can be used...but if you plan on running 787 electronics with the 787 magcup in a 951 you need a MSD ignition enhancer.

besides...why not trade up to a 98 that already has the 951 in it?

+1
    you will have to reglass the front mount, swap the exhaust exit to the other side, and change out all the electornics or get a msd. it would be a PITA in that hull. you would be better off getting a 98+xpl. same hull, just has the 951 already in it. you could always throw the same amount of $ at the 800 in aftermarket parts as you would spend on the swap and make close if not more power as a stock 951.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    you will have to reglass the front mount, swap the exhaust exit to the other side, and change out all the electornics or get a msd. it would be a PITA in that hull. you would be better off getting a 98+xpl. same hull, just has the 951 already in it. you could always throw the same amount of $ at the 800 in aftermarket parts as you would spend on the swap and make close if not more power as a stock 951.
    +1

No one does this swap because you are better off buying an XPL.

Though, if you did, all of the electronics should work, right? I mean the 787 and the '98 XPL mag cup is the same and the Stator is the same between them. '99+ would not work with the electronics, but '98 would, I believe.

That said, the XPL had a bigger fuel tank and as king pointed out the front mount and the exhaust is on the wrong side. So you either live with three less gallons of fuel or try to change out the tank too (which I am not sure will come out with the cap on the hull).

If you put a 951 in an X-4 you have a small hull with a large engine.

If you put a 951 in a '97 XP you have an XPL that was way too much trouble compared to buying even a blown XPL and fixing it.

You can wring a lot of power out of a 787 and I like the '97 XP for jumping because of the lighter weight and balance.

Thanks for the quick answers.... That is what I wanted to know... I think I will just get it cleaned up with another 800 and try to find a trade... I also have a couple of 96xp models, so I have enjoyed the reading on the 951 swap info for them... Airborne I have read many of your and others post already..

Thread Information