Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Any Ford mechanics???? I need some help

I bought a 2003 Ford Escape 3.0 from my company that threw a rod out of the motor. I bought a 2003 3.0 from a junk yard with 40XXX miles on it. I have installed the motor with very minor issues.

Here is my problem I can't get the motor start it acts like it has no spark. I have tried locking and unlocking the doors with the remote still nothing. Battery is charged and grounds are hooked up and good.

Here is what I have checked:
    the fuel pump is deiifinatly comming on and then shuting off after a few seconds. I pulled a coil and a plug pushed the plug back into the coil and laid it (the coil and plug) with it still connected to the harness against the metal stud for motor mount then tried cranking it no spark I check 3 of the front cylinders no spark on any of those. Checked all vaccume lines too all seem good

I just got back from buying an OBDII reader tool from Advance Auto parts hooked it up per the instructions with the tool. Turned on the key scanned for code "none found" tried to start the engine rescanned for codes "none found". Well that was a waste of $200

all the dash lights come on when you turn on the key. The Tach and speedo do there full sweep while you hear the fuel pump running. All the lights like Air bag and what not come on and go out shortly after cranking Still no start

Ok so I pulled a connector off one of the coils I put a probe in the connector for the white wire with the brown tracer and plugged it into the -neg side of the multi meter then put another probe to the + side of my battery then turned on the key no voltage on the multi meter. Then moved the probe to the green w/yellow tracer wire and repeated still no voltage

Just for sh%ts and giggles I put the - neg probe to the neg side of the battery and the + to the pos side of the battery and my meter read 12.95v so then I put + pos of multi meter to the on the white/brown wire and turned the key on no voltage then tried the green/yellow turned key on no voltage

Checked all fuses under the hood all are good check them with the OHM side of my multi meter.

Any ideas?

+1
    Just turns over? first thing.. try the enercia switch. it in the kick panel on the front passenger side. also is there a theft lighton?

+1
    No theft light on.

I will look at the switch in the kick panel

+1
    I have done ALOT of motor swaps in Escapes 90% of the time the switch needs to be reset....

+1
    Thanks I will check it

We have an edge.
    I found out that the ecu, key, and gauges are all married. If you try to change any one of those items, the car wont start unless a dealer marries the new component to the others. Maybe the engine is linked to the above items somehow. You may want to look into that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by twelvesorbetter View Post
    We have an edge.
    I found out that the ecu, key, and gauges are all married. If you try to change any one of those items, the car wont start unless a dealer marries the new component to the others. Maybe the engine is linked to the above items somehow. You may want to look into that.

This is only true on 2008+ fords On the 2003 escape the keys is coded to just the ecu. as long as there no theft light he should be good. If "just" the motor was swaped then there should be no issues, There are grounds by the power steering bottle and under the fuse box check and make sure they have a clean connection aswell.

+1
    Double checked the grounds. I checked the buttom in the side kick panel I pushed it but still no start or spark.

+1
    On the coils, the WH/ VT wire (white with violet tracer,white w/purple ?) should have 12v key-on. The LG/YE will be ground for coil #6, when cranking/running,it pulses(might need a noid light to see it pulse).

Also make sure fuses F1.10 30amp in the under hood box and F2.9 3amp under the dash have 12v on both sides.(both are for the ignition system)

I have the 03 Escape wiring book for my parents car in hand,if you need any help,send a pm ,I'll give you my phone #, I was a Ford tech for 12 years,I have lots of experience with elect and driveability.

+1
    just a thought but could you have a bad crank trigger or could it be the wrong one.i know there is a differance between some automatics and the stick shift pickup.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information