Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Long Island Jet Ski questions

I am moving back to LI (bethpage area) in a few months, I currently live in Tampa. I have 2005 Yamaha XLT1200. Does NYS make it a pain in the ass to register PWC's I pay about $50 a yr in Tampa for my trailer and ski registrations. What would this cost in NY?

More importantly how is the riding there? I never owned a ski or boat or went boating when I lived there. I know there are ramps around LI not sure how much riding i would do in the salt water due to the rough waters. Are there any fresh water areas people ride in? if not where do most people drop and ride, I assume in the bay. I am trying to figure out if I should sell my ski or bring it with me.

-Ron

SPEED COMES 1/10 @ A TIME SpeedFreeks Racing's Avatar
    +1

riding in li...

ron, if you sold your ski and moved from fl to li you would be ''sick that you did'' because the great south bay in li is one of the best places to ride in ny. we live in brooklyn ny and we ride our skis from brooklyn to the south bay almost every other weekend in the summer. the great south bay is always mostly calm water other than boat wakes because your in the bay... you can ride for miles and miles and never run out of room with losts to see and doo. on just about any weekend you can see up to 50 other jet skis easily. your reg should run you under $100.00 and should not be a problem to transfer.

thanks, erik

i live in the town just north of you plainview i do alot ride in cold spring harbor, oysterbay and huntington. i will be going to the southshore alot more this year!

i agree
    great south bay is one of my favorite places to ride!!!!!!!!!

regi in NY for a PWC is 26.25, trailer is 21.50 plus 6 for an inspection......riding is great in LI not to mention around Manhattan

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i live in bethpage district / plainview mailing addy....

my watercraft shop is ON the great south bay (largest volume PWC repair facility across the whole south shore)... it ain't THAT calm either... if you are actually IN the GSB and not the state boat channel or the flats... otherwise it's not calm unless it's before 7am, lol.... i've been riding PWCs and running luxury boats and performance boats in it my whole life.

there's a million different places to go and ride tho... test ur endurance on a weekend in the GSB, or tear up the snake trails in the flats by gilgo and tobay (massapequa), tear down the state boat channel from captree to jones beach theater (always calm, except for boat wakes)... go out towards jones inlet jump waves off of point lookout. bang a left outside the jetty and run the waves off the beach (until the CG comes for you), or go down reynolds channel to some bars or to the nautical mile in freeport... there is TONS to do, and many places to go.

We are looking forward to running and sponsoring our first annual PWC Poker Run on the south shore this summer. We also offer PWC rental slips for the summer on our premises if you want to forget about trailering and have an easily accessibly way to jump on your ski and ride and throw it back on a dock.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    only bad thing about mid-way through the summer... is the eel grass / sea weed that kills the experience of owning a PWC east anywhere east of like Florence Beach area... it gets really bad, and you gotta jump in the water a bit to get about 5 lbs of it out of your pump tunnel.

can't tell you how many DOZENS of my customers smoked motors this summer because of the seaweed. It was exceptionally bad this past summer, one of the worst i've seen in a veryyy long time.... it just stays between like lindenhurst and massapequa floating back and forth and back and forth since the two inlets on either side wont flush out the bay fast enough.

bring the ski tho! you wont regret it. the PWC scene is huge on long island... i defintiely recommend the south shore more than the north shore, and do not go to john burns park... go to wantagh park to launch. if you plan on riding alot, consider renting a dock slip otherwise and forget the trailer and the ramp permits and fees.

good luck on the move!! give us a yell when ur back in town.

STEVE

Thanks for all the reply's. As far as seagrass getting stuck in the grate, I am used to it. At my favorite area in clearwater it happens all the time. I got a good really good offer on my ski here, I am selling it and will buy a new one when I get to LI. I am actually going to make $400 on it and I have had it for a little over 2 years. I will probably look for a 4 stroke yamaha this time around or a Kawasaki.

South shore

Does anyone know a good place to launch on the south shore in Islip or anywhere in Suffolk (that you dont need a town permit) where we can launch our ski's and have a place on the shore or beach for the family to hang out?

We used to do it on the north shore at Long Beach when I was a Smithtown resident.

Thanks

+1
    bump from the dead.

Shibby, do you still have the repair shop & dock rental? where at?
    I just got my 1st ski & am having a blast on the south shore, out of Merrick Bay.
    So far the ski's in my marina are like lawn ornaments, I havent seen any move yet, lol.

looking for someone to ride with, get to know the waters.
    I have grounded like 3x already in the shallows & the reed/seaweed has swampped me like 4 times. I need at least 3-4ft of water for my Waveraider to not get clogged up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information