Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RXP hull leaking

I have an 04 RXP that's leaking from the drive shaft, does anyone have an idea what would cause this? I had ingested some rocks and had to replace the impeller, but saw no other damage. I took the ski out and it ran good 8150 rpm's I ran for about 25 miles, then coming out of a no wake it was cavating badly. I could not go anywhere other than idle, took it to shore an it was filling up with water quick. I put it on the trailer and it was leaking from the drive shaft. Any help would be greatly apperacited before I tear this thing apart.

+1
    It sounds like your carbon seal gave out on you.

From looking at the micro fish that was one of the things I was leaning to, I guess this means I have to pull the drive shaft? Will I need any special tools to do this?

+1
    There is a driveshaft tool that slides the slide ring back so you can remove the circlip, but i always just use my hands. It takes a lot of force, but can be done without the tool.

Thanks for your help Jerry.

I'll let you know how it goes..

i had a leak with my 04 rxp & it turned out to be caused by the motor mounts being broken,drive shaft pulled away from the impeller.try to lift up on the motor,if it moves you have the same problem i replaced the front mnt with the rr solid.

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    Zoom Zoom, i had the same problem as Breister before but i would have to agree on the carbon seal being the culprit. If you need the floating ring tool i have one and will gladly lend it too you. I had a hard time with my driveshaft since i'm not beefy like "the hulk".

i hate to come off as a know it all ,but i have had my rxp & my 2001rxx sink from a bad carbon ring/boot problem,in both skies that had a bad carbon ring i was still able to get the skies up on plane and get very close to top speed. zoom is saying his ski will only idle around & thats what happened to me this last time,if the drive shaft pulls away from the front of the impeler it just spins & will not do more than idle speeds.lol zoom!

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    Breister, i also noticed that he said he was cavitating which wouldn't be happening due to the stripped driveshaft and impeller splines if he's got a broken motor mount. I will however say that my experience with a broken front motor mount did involve taking on water but no cavitation. As you can see from my past trouble's i know all too well about that.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2430

Still it wouldn't be a bad idea to remove the driveshaft to check the splines on both ends as well as the carbon seal since it could have also been damaged.

Thanks for the added input, I will check the motor mount when I get home tonight. As for the cavating if you started real slow the pump seemed hooked after a second or two it would just spin and go no where. Wouldn't I hear or feel the drive shaft moving in and out of the impeller? How would a bad seal make it cavate?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information