Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    my ski has thrust vectoring......does yours??? killcraft's Avatar

inboard or outboard oil???

hey quick question im sure this has been addressed before but i couldn't find anything. what is the difference between inboard 2 stroke oil and outboard 2 stroke oil. the only thing i can think of is it might be thinner for the oil pump?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Do you have an example of the 'inboard 2-stroke oil'?

The thing to look for is the oil ratings or specifications, not the 'name' or front label branding.

TCW3 is the minimum oil rating specification for Polaris 2-stroke engines, but there have been lots of previous discussions regarding good and better oils. Search for TCW3 or ISO-EGD

Old spec outboard 2-stroke engines will often put up with lower grade oil than a PWC engine can tolerate. PWC engines are actually rather high power output for their size, and spin at higher max RPM.

Choicing the right oil...

Oil Ratings Question

What type of oil should I use?

no i dont have a example but the guy at the yamaha dealer said to make sure it was for use in inboard engines. i just bought a gallon of yamalube.

He probably meant "don't use outboard oil in your ski", even though it really won't damage it. When he said "inboard", he was probably referring to PWCs and jet boats...since the engine is technically "inboard".

+1
    Amsoil
    Redline
    Polaris VES
    Poo oil
    Klot
    Blue Marble
    Polaris Gold
    Castor 927
    Ipone
    XPS oil
    Citco s&s
    Seadoo oil
    Blue artic
    Quicksilver

These are examples of 2-stroke oils sold around the USA. Made for 2-stroke engines.

They go into the gas and dissolve as you premix it into the gas. Or regulated by the oil pump on the ski. Regular 4 -stroke oil doesn't mix and dissolve into the oil. it goes into a crancase that lubes the bearings on the crank,piston walls,rings,cam,and other rotating parts in the engine by the way of oil galleries running thruout the engine. The oil gets pushed by an oil pump in the crankcase. Jetski dont use this system to oil. 2-strokes use the suspened oil in the gas to lubricate everything as it make it way thru the engine.
    10w-30
    10w-40
    10w-30
    20w-50
    SAE 30
    Are types of 4-stroke oil. Yamaha,kawi and Honda sell thier own versions of 4-stroke oil for thier jetskis.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    He probably meant "don't use outboard oil in your ski", even though it really won't damage it. When he said "inboard", he was probably referring to PWCs and jet boats...since the engine is technically "inboard".
    Yes i am aware of the diffrences between a inboard and a outboard engine. i was curious as to what chemically is diffrent in the oil itself between in board 2-stroke oil and outboard 2- stroke oil. example: is inboard oil of a thinner vicosity than outboard oil?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by killcraft View Post
    Yes i am aware of the differences between a inboard and a outboard engine.

I was curious as to what chemically is different in the oil itself between in board 2-stroke oil and outboard 2- stroke oil.

example: is inboard oil of a thinner viscosity than outboard oil?
    Not so much a viscosity difference, but more about what happens before and after the oil is burned in the combustion chamber.

Some 2-stroke oils are 'ashless', while others are 'low-ash'.

Some oils might have better lubricating properties on the crank and connecting rod roller bearings, others might lubricate the sliding piston rings better.

On engines with movable exhaust valves, the oil needs to not create a gummy residue which might cause the valves to stick.

On high output engines (like PWC), the oil needs to withstand high crank RPM and high combustion and piston temperatures without building up gum or carbon.

Sea-Doo 2-stroke engines work a little differently than the reed valve engines (which includes Polaris), so Sea-Doo has a different oil specification than all the other 2-stroke PWC brands. Sea-Doo 2-strokes generally run higher maximum RPM and higher temperatures than non-Sea-Doo 2-stroke PWC engines. Use Sea-Doo oil in Sea-Doo 2-strokes, and use non-Sea-Doo oil in everything else.

Unlike a four stroke, a 2-stroke engine has very little liquid oil inside the engine at any given moment. That oil needs to be able to wick its way into the roller bearings, be thrown up onto the cylinder walls, and generally stick to and lubricate every metal surface inside the engine.

Then it gets sucked into the combustion chamber, where it mostly needs to not gum up things, or produce excessive exhaust smoke.

Better quality 2-stroke oils provide better lubrication, longer engine life between rebuilds, less residue and and less smoke.

Synthetic and Castor bean 2-stroke oils tend to be high grade, and petroleum based 2-stroke oils can range from very good to rather poor.

An outboard engine max RPM is typically 5,000RPM or lower, much less than the near 7,000 (or more) that our PWC engines turn.

These PWC engines also tend to produce more power than outboards of the same displacement, meaning more internal stress and heat, and the need for good quality oil.

dose anyone know where you can buy oil in bulk?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000slx1200 View Post
    ...where you can buy oil in bulk?
    How much oil are you looking for?

Dealers and service shops sometimes buy oil in large drums, or pallet loads of gallon sized bottles.

http://www.domo-online.com/bulk2cycle

http://www.gomeyer.com/rc-cars-scoot...oke-p-808.html

I'm putting a big gas tank on my trailer and I'm pr mixing my skis so I wanted to be able to buy more then one gallon at a time but 55 is way to much. thanks for the help

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information