Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

polaris 1200 issues?

i rebuilt a genesis 1200 top end for it to only last about 15 hours and the rear piston went. the rebuild was done right, the other two pistons are perfect, could it be from lean injector or since its the last injector on the line it may be starved for fuel like their early 650/750 tripple carb setups?

can i switch to carbs? and if so, what all is involved or is it worth it? are all 1200 cylinders and pistons the same? i would like to buy some extra parts to bore and match the rear to the other two but the cylinders on ebay that say 1200 dont look like the ones i have? i know the heads are different.

anyway, i rebuilt it useing wsm rebuild kit w/all new gaskets, leak down tested and passed, i was told on pwctoday that the engine got water in the rear cylinder through the exhaust port? i showd pics of the piston on there. i dont know how that is but i dont want to rebuild it for it to do it again. the kit did not come with manifold gaskets but was just rtv'd to the cylinders so thats what i used was high heat rtv and i had to really pry the manifold off to get it to unseat so i know it was sealed on there pretty good. i used ultra black high heat rtv on it. broke it in real good as well.

HI! Welcome!! Zig is a good guy! Can you post your pic's? it might help these guy's trouble shoot! Z

when i get home i'll load a pic, it looks nasty...........was water a problem from the exhaust area?

+1
    Hi cameron good to see you, some picts will help TONS.

heres whats left....................

looks like old fashioned deto to me but im not a pro. the owner, a friend of mine says she was wot pretty much all day pulling a large tube w/three people on it, and at the end of the day, she said it would only go about 40 by herself. all cylinders were at 130#'s before and the other two still are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0755.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	7649  
    Last edited by cameron da river rat; 09-05-2006 at 03:47 PM.

any guesses?

+1
    See if you can get in touch with Randy at www.watcon.com
    Get some more pictures of the whole piston, including the bottom and the cylinder. With some close up pictures.

+1
    Possible water intrusion. Did you have a coolant leak anywhere that you know of? Water cooling the piston can cause it to become brittle and the rest is history....
    Does it look like your exhaust manifold was leaking?

+1
    Sorry, I just reread your original post a little better. When you reassembled the motor the first time, did you bolt up the exhaust manifold BEFORE you torqued down the jugs to make sure you had proper cylinder to exhaust manifold alignment?
    Sure kinda looks like that damaged part of the piston is "water-washed" clean.

i cant torque down the cylinders with the exh manifold on. or at least i dont have the tools to do it. yes, exh bolts were torqued down and i could see no signs of water intrusion but you never know. i was told to true the manifold which i will, and use gaskets, which i will.

why would you need alignment when the cases are studed?
    i will try it again and see what happens.
    usually, the water leak engines ive taken apart were washed clean but the whole piston was clean. but thats why im here, to see what caused it and try to fix it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information