+1

Worn coupling (rubber biscuit)

Trying to narrow down the source of an engine rattle, I had the opportunity to look at the flange coupling today while blocking off the oil pump and it looks like the rubber biscuit is worn.

I am wondering what the penalties are for running the ski with a slightly worn coupling? Can the biscuit fail catastrophically? The bottom line is I am wondering if I need to get the biscuit changed out before I go back in the water.

+1
    They're cheap - get a new one.

+1
    make sure your motor mounts are good, if they are not the rubber bicuit will wear out faster, happened to me...

+1
    also make sure the motor is aligned. This will eat up the couplers too.

Whether or not you can run on the one you have until you pick up a replacement would be a judgement call on your part....

+1

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bex View Post
    Trying to narrow down the source of an engine rattle, I had the opportunity to look at the flange coupling today while blocking off the oil pump and it looks like the rubber biscuit is worn.

I am wondering what the penalties are for running the ski with a slightly worn coupling? Can the biscuit fail catastrophically? The bottom line is I am wondering if I need to get the biscuit changed out before I go back in the water.
    ya need to check wear ring on pump will make a bunch of noise out of water,also if your hearing noise at idle out of water(or not)when gpr motors get some time on them they do rattle bad ,

later bone fish charlie

+1
    I have 160 hours on the motor, 9 hours since a top end rebuild. The biscuit has some signs of wear right on the edges of it. Looks shiny about 2mm from the edge of it.

The housing was worn, and the original impeller was badly worn as well, leading edges were eaten up. I put a 12/18 68N00 prop on for the last 9 hours since rebuild and the wear ring has no visible signs of wear, and the prop was untouched. Have since swapped out the old 12/18 for a Solas 13/19 Concord and have not ran the boat since, also did the R&D plate and PPK. I ran it after the jet pump was put together and the noise was gone. Will have to see what happens after a ride perhaps tomorrow, or weekend. I had suspected the pump bearings but I woulda seen signs of rubbing on the wear ring.

Its just strange I guess. But it always sounds after I come out of the water and start up on the trailer to blow any water out of the box before heading home. Then again on the trailer flushing out to put the ski up for the day.

Just weird I guess.

Thread Information