Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Unhappy 2002 GP1200R 15 PSI on Rear Cylinder

Im new around here and have been reading for a couple of days now. Great site.

I purchased a 2002 GP1200R with 17 hours on it as well as a 2004 XLT1200 with 9 hours on it two days ago. The XLT has 134-133-134 (Front-Middle-Rear) compression and runs great but the GPR is a different story altogether.

I was perhaps too eager to get them in the water so I didnt check everything over 100% (stupid I know).

First thing I did when I picked these skis up was crank em on the trailer. The XLT ran fine but the GPR was hard to start and ran very rough and even backfired a few times. I just figured they needed to be ran in the water so in they went. The GPR was running rough and very slowly at first so I pulled it out and checked the spark plugs. Sure enough the front one was broken so I swapped some new ones in. It ran great for about 15 seconds but bogged down and wouldnt run past 5000 rpm or 30 MPH. Pulled it out and checked the compression and my heart sank. The numbers were 130-135-15 (front-middle-rear).

Now what?? I got the two skis and an aluminum double trailer with torsion bar axles for $3000. I think thats still a deal but I need some of this sites knowledge to help me out.

So the question is what to do now? (in case it got lost in the long post)

Ohh Yea, and since it ran so good for those 15 seconds does that mean I'm the one who screwed the rear cylinder??? Geez I hope not

So what do you do now?...................start by taking the head off, and probably that 3rd cyl.......... if your cyl looks good, feels good then you'll probably need piston and rings. Easy job, just a little time consuming. Then just to make sure turn the crank by hand. Take a good look see at everything.

if it did have a failure you need to fing out why so it doesnt happen again, check & make sure the oil line to the carb didnt fall off & starve it for oil

Well then here the next question- Im a complete novice to pwc's but have been wrenching for quite some time on heavy equipment. I know this is something I can handle but after looking at this site, im a little nervous. These little machines seem to be quite complicated. I hope i will find some guidance here from you all.

Well if you plan on keeping your skis .........you will have to do some kind of wrenching sooner or later, and do not take to the dealer @ $90 hr. You can do it, take your time.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PRussellS View Post
    Ohh Yea, and since it ran so good for those 15 seconds does that mean I'm the one who screwed the rear cylinder??? Geez I hope not
    Difficult to say, but $3k for the skis and trailer is a great deal. In good running condition, that's about half market value. If you don't want to do the work yourself, post your city and perhaps someone can make a recommendation.

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, it's not an overly difficult job. As others suggested, you'll want to determine what caused the problem.

You will also want to remove the oil pump and go premix on both skis. The two skis you have are notorious for dropping oil lines. I'm surprised it's not a class action lawsuit.

I will do all the work myself. (I haven't been in over my head yet so why not)

I have been searching but anyone have any direct links to head removal and oil pump removal. Geez there's so much information here

+1
    Do it yourself if you have the time, all the info and help you need is right here. Also check the 3 pulse lines, there is one attached to the cases above each carb.. Also post up pictures once you get the head off.

So I went ahead and pulled the head... the oil line had come off the #3 carb and it dont look good. Decent size hole blown in side of piston, took and hour to get the wrist pin out, cylinder walls have deep gouges... and i have only owned jet skis for 2 days!!! Will post pics soon.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information