Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I am now a Seadoo owner

I've had watercraft before, but just pulled the trigger on my first Doo!!! New 09 GTX 215. Now, I've only got about 3 months until things melt and I can put it the water! Spring is coming, Spring is coming.

Does anyone have any advice on things to be aware of, etc. as I put it in the water the first few times???

Congrats. I myself am putting my deposit down this week on my new 2010 rxt-x 260. There really isnt too much you need to know. Vary your rpms, keep your wot runs down for the first 10 hrs, and take your time learning the ski. These three seaters are boats, pardon the pun, and they take a little getting used to especially if your used to smaller two seater skis. One thing that causes controversy is the 10hr maintenance. I do all work on my skis myself, but not the 10hr. It needs to have the buds computer reset the maintenance message anyway, so you might as well have dealer do entire service. From what I understand, Brp considers the 10hr very very important when considering any future warranty claims. It shouldnt cost more than $250 at MOST. Dont let dealer try to rip you off. I got smart this time had dealer throw it in free before I agreed to buy. My 07 Rxt cost $220 for service if I recall. Other than that, enjoy it.....you will be awed by the power of these skis,especially if you havent ridden a modern supercharged 4 stroke. Good luck!

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave, and congrats as well to you! You mention the fact that these are "boats". I haven't driven a modern 3 seater, so I am quite curious as to the differences over my old 97 Yamaha 2 seater. I would assume that these are much more stable?? In brochures, you see people sitting on the side of their skis, I could NEVER do that on my old one!
    Also, thanks for the info on the cost of the 10 hour service. I didn't really know what to expect with this, and I might even try to negotiate it into the deal before I pick up my ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gutter View Post
    Does anyone have any advice on things to be aware of, etc. as I put it in the water the first few times???
    Congrats and welcome to the dark side...
    you are in for a lot of fun, for a few tips see here:
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=93951

+1
    give everything a good look over. I bought my RXP new last summer... I found a couple of gear clamps that werent tight enough for my standards soooo.... check ALL hose clamp are tight. also the first time i put it in the water i had the seat off and checked for leaks befor i fired it up and backed it off the trailer, then putted around the dock looking for leaks. then i hit the lake and was good to go....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsterme View Post
    give everything a good look over. I bought my RXP new last summer... I found a couple of gear clamps that werent tight enough for my standards soooo.... check ALL hose clamp are tight. also the first time i put it in the water i had the seat off and checked for leaks befor i fired it up and backed it off the trailer, then putted around the dock looking for leaks. then i hit the lake and was good to go....
    Great point, I just added that to the list....

Gutter
    These machines weigh 850+ lbs, although the power to weight ratio makes it seem like they weigh much less. They are also 11ft long. So what I mean is that the bigger skis may not be as nimble as the much smaller skis. Yes they are extremley stable. I weigh close to 290lbs and I can lean all the way over on my RXT and it barely even moves. I have yet to flip it and I ride and wave jump in some very very bad ocean conditions (tropical storms with 15 ft swells). Oh one last tip that nobody has mentioned and it is the most important tip for the first trip out....Dont get so over excited you forget to put in the drain plugs. LOL. BTW...I havent done it but have watched some others do it.

Dave

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gutter View Post
    I've had watercraft before, but just pulled the trigger on my first Doo!!! New 09 GTX 215. Now, I've only got about 3 months until things melt and I can put it the water! Spring is coming, Spring is coming.

If it were me, I'd hook up the trailer, and head West. It only got into the 70's here today in Lake Havasu City, Arizona.
    Screw that winter/snow crap.....LOL

Also, save your income tax refund, and earmark all of it for modifications. Believe me, when you get used to the acceleration/power(it will scare the crap out of you at first, but, you'll quickly get used to it), you will want to go quicker/faster.

After riding it for awhile, "cruising" at 70mph will feel like 45mph......and you'll swear something is wrong, as it just doesn't seem to accelerate as fast as it used to.

When you start getting near 80mph, you going to start thinking: "wow, this is going to hurt if I get tossed off this thing". When you get to that point, it's time to stop adding "power adders".

Also....start off slow. Take it real easy at first. Even though you've owned PWC's before, these things have a ton more power than probably any other PWC you've owned/ridden before. They are big, and heavy, but can turn so fast, that the ski will turn, you won't. You will go flying off because of the G-forces.

Welcome to the club!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    If it were me, I'd hook up the trailer, and head West. It only got into the 70's here today in Lake Havasu City, Arizona.
    Screw that winter/snow crap.....LOL

Also, save your income tax refund, and earmark all of it for modifications. Believe me, when you get used to the acceleration/power(it will scare the crap out of you at first, but, you'll quickly get used to it), you will want to go quicker/faster.

After riding it for awhile, "cruising" at 70mph will feel like 45mph......and you'll swear something is wrong, as it just doesn't seem to accelerate as fast as it used to.

When you start getting near 80mph, you going to start thinking: "wow, this is going to hurt if I get tossed off this thing". When you get to that point, it's time to stop adding "power adders".

Also....start off slow. Take it real easy at first. Even though you've owned PWC's before, these things have a ton more power than probably any other PWC you've owned/ridden before. They are big, and heavy, but can turn so fast, that the ski will turn, you won't. You will go flying off because of the G-forces.

Welcome to the club!!!
    A few good comments I can relate to being a newbie. Especially the ski will turn, you won't, and go flying off of it. Thank goodness for lanyards!

Thanks for all of the valuable info guys. I'll definetely be taking it easy for the first while. However, I sure am looking forward to opening it up and seeing the power it holds!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information