Intake grate...remove or upgrade?

I have read a lot of threads on here about intake grates. grinding them...putting an rxp one on...etc.

What is the consensus on an 07 challenger 180 with the SC motor?

I have seen at least one guy who claimed to have removed it and one who ground his stock one flush. Can anyone claim improvements in cornering and or top speed?

I would like some better low end grunt and better hookup when cornering.

Thanks guys.

I am the guy who removed the grate completely but I have an 06 with the ICS system so the grate is very easy to remove.
    I dont believe the 07's had the crappy ICS system so to remove your grate would require plugging holes left by removing the bolts. Also the wedge that directs water into the pump is still there after grate removal on the 06s. For the 07 you would need to order a pump support insert from an 06. This part also kept on breaking off before and after grate removal so I had to take my ride plate to a welding shop along with a new pump support insert and have it welded in there PERMANENTLY!!!
    As for performance improvements I saw a very marginal improvement in cavitation on takeoff but in big chop there was a definite improvement in keeping the pump loaded with water. In your case the gains probably are not worth the effort. Also the lakes I boat in are completely stick/refuse free. If your lakes have floating stuff you may want to leave the grate on although I not sure it stops much anyhow.

Hopefully this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by cfnnslsq View Post
    I am the guy who removed the grate completely but I have an 06 with the ICS system so the grate is very easy to remove.
    I dont believe the 07's had the crappy ICS system so to remove your grate would require plugging holes left by removing the bolts. Also the wedge that directs water into the pump is still there after grate removal on the 06s. For the 07 you would need to order a pump support insert from an 06. This part also kept on breaking off before and after grate removal so I had to take my ride plate to a welding shop along with a new pump support insert and have it welded in there PERMANENTLY!!!
    As for performance improvements I saw a very marginal improvement in cavitation on takeoff but in big chop there was a definite improvement in keeping the pump loaded with water. In your case the gains probably are not worth the effort. Also the lakes I boat in are completely stick/refuse free. If your lakes have floating stuff you may want to leave the grate on although I not sure it stops much anyhow.

Hopefully this helps.

Yes - that is exactly the info I was looking for. I am looking for a way to keep the pump loaded better during turns so I don't lose as much speed.

Is the pump really becoming unloaded in turns? The only time I feel my aftermarket grate (with a wing to direct more water in the upper pump tunnel) benefits me is at 65mph in the chop, where the light S150 is literally hopping from wave crest to crest; it does keep it loaded better in those times when it would otherwise could be starved for flow for a split second. But the C180 is relatively heavy, and with its power-to-weight ratio, I'm sure the pump stays planted in the water much more. You've got to remember that water isn't being pushed into the pump tunnel, rather, it's being sucked in from the power of the prop. As long as the pump intake is completely submerged, it's going to suck in all the water it needs.

I think that some of the slowing you're feeling in the turns is the increased angle of attack of the hull, but even more so, it is a design characteristic of your steering nozzle. If you look at your steering nozzle, you'll see that water flows through unimpeded when going straight, but when turning, the steering nozzle has raised intrusions inside it that gets in the way of the water flow. It has been speculated here, that BRP designed the steering nozzle that way for "safety" to slow the boat for turns. I'd love to bore out the steering nozzle to get rid of those intrusions, to see what the effect would be.

If you look at your steering nozzle, you'll see that water flows through unimpeded when going straight, but when turning, the steering nozzle has raised intrusions inside it that gets in the way of the water flow. It has been speculated here, that BRP designed the steering nozzle that way for "safety" to slow the boat for turns. I'd love to bore out the steering nozzle to get rid of those intrusions, to see what the effect would be.
    No need for speculation I actually found the answer to the "raised intrusions" question in the steering nozzle some time ago when I came across BRP's patent for the design. Here is the link to my old post
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ghlight=patent
    and here is the actual patent link
    http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6102756.html

The ridges catch the water and actually help "pull" the steering nozzle in the direction of the turn.

Earlier this winter I finally got around to removing these ridges but won't be able to test till the ice melts. I suspect a little more resistance to steering effort but hope to retain more RPMs/speed during cornering.
    Will let you know come May.....

Pictures worth 1000 words

While there are "guide strakes" I'll call them, as part of the easy cleanout system, cfnnslsq's boat and mine don't really have an intake grate. Here's a pic of it next to an OEM RXP intake grate. I get a chuckle everytime I look at it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0636.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	972.9 KB 
ID:	171404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0637.JPG 
Views:	297 
Size:	1,001.2 KB 
ID:	171405   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0638.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	994.6 KB 
ID:	171406  

Quote Originally Posted by boostaholic View Post
    While there are "guide strakes" I'll call them, as part of the easy cleanout system, cfnnslsq's boat and mine don't really have an intake grate. Here's a pic of it next to an OEM RXP intake grate. I get a chuckle everytime I look at it.

Cool...thanks again.

What have you done to your 180?

Thread Information