Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1

1100 ZXI Unknown year

Yellow/Black 1100 ZXI dunno what year it is from..

Problem:

Coupler from the exhaust and the waterbox melted, it has been replaced.. any ideas what has caused this.

When you are at idle, and hit throttle.. the ski has "no power"

any ideas what to check?

I took spark plugs out...

1 Cylinder: completely Black
    2 Cylinder: Medium Black
    3 Cylinder: Light Black

any ideas thanks

Melted exhaust hose says it had no water spraying into the exhaust. You might want to check the rubber hose on the other side of the water box to be sure its not burned too. How does the compression? When you say it has no power is it cavitating or just not taking off and going?

Not sure on year check the hin.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    Melted exhaust hose says it had no water spraying into the exhaust. You might want to check the rubber hose on the other side of the water box to be sure its not burned too. How does the compression? When you say it has no power is it cavitating or just not taking off and going?

Not sure on year check the hin.
    I believe its a 2003?

I have not ridden the ski, so im not sure.. i checked the hose that leads from the pump to the exhaust mani. Blew through it.. nothing stuck..

I am going to check compression tonight, and use a inline spark tester to make sure the spark plugs are good.

Also gonna replace the spark plugs any other ideas?

+1
    I've never had the exhaust apart on an 1100, but most others have some small water passages in the exhaust system to spray water into it. You may have to take off the expansion chamber and see if there is any sand/debris in it.

Check the water jackets on the stator cover. If I remember right there is a hose that goes from the stator cover to the ex pipe. There maybe a clog there

+1
    heya Hallpass -

When you figure out what it is could you post it on here? I bought a '99 ZXI 1100 that has the exact same problem - melted the exhaust coupling. Local shop told the owner "motor over heated and needs to be rebuilt" even though it has good compression and seems to run ok.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zrtman View Post
    heya Hallpass -

When you figure out what it is could you post it on here? I bought a '99 ZXI 1100 that has the exact same problem - melted the exhaust coupling. Local shop told the owner "motor over heated and needs to be rebuilt" even though it has good compression and seems to run ok.
    my guess to be honest is this..

i pulled the pump because compression on all cylinders was perfect, spark on all boots was perfect..

So I pulled the pump took all of 5 minutes.. the wear ring is shot, and the impeller has scratches/nicks on it..

my guess is sucked up sand or something.. and scratched/ruined everything in the pump area..

then from the wear ring being scratched so bad it began to cavitate. The owner didn't know what to do so they would hit the gas harder, or hold it for a long time.. and from this since the ski isn't really going anywhere but the engine is working Soo hard you aren't getting all the cooling you would at 15mph that you would get at 40mph..

so the engine began to over heat, and it melted the couplers..

this is my true guess what has happened!

+1
    I would have a hard time signing off on the cavitation causing the overheating. How long can you spin the prop before you go somewhere and get water flow again. Maybe 15 seconds 30 tops. I agree maybe they sucked a crap load of silt/sand into the block and it needs to be back flushed or possible taken apart and cleaned out. Sounds like a plugged water line. Next time you have on the lake, pull the hose off the return line form the head and put a 4 ft piece of hose on it to flow out of the hull. Start the engine and see if you have a good stream out of the head. If not you have water delivery issues

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seaobin View Post
    I would have a hard time signing off on the cavitation causing the overheating. How long can you spin the prop before you go somewhere and get water flow again. Maybe 15 seconds 30 tops. I agree maybe they sucked a crap load of silt/sand into the block and it needs to be back flushed or possible taken apart and cleaned out. Sounds like a plugged water line. Next time you have on the lake, pull the hose off the return line form the head and put a 4 ft piece of hose on it to flow out of the hull. Start the engine and see if you have a good stream out of the head. If not you have water delivery issues
    Yes,

I thought the same... a water line being messed up. However I pulled all the lines, and blew air through them.. nothing plugging them, or anything that blew out...

Who knows how long the guy on the ski was holding it WOT waiting for something to happen..

imagine running even 1/2 throttle but only getting the amount of water that would cool the ski at idle.. now imagine running that 1/2 throttle for a few minutes.. i would imagine an engine can get fairly warm due to all the explosions inside the cylinder and not enough cooling.. I'm really not too worried about the melted coupler.

Quote Originally Posted by HallPass View Post
    Yes,

I thought the same... a water line being messed up. However I pulled all the lines, and blew air through them.. nothing plugging them, or anything that blew out...
    It is possible it is not the lines that are clogged. It could be your water jackets blocked. I know this was the case on mine. All the lines were fine but a ton of junk was clogged in the water jackets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information