Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need your opinion asap 04 msx 150

Last edited by ManOverBoard21; 02-09-2010 at 02:02 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Where are you located?

Things to consider when buying a Polaris MSX 110 or MSX 150

Do you plan on doing you own repairs and maintenance?

These Weber engines are time consuming and expensive to rebuild, so you need to decide if the risk of more problems than the seller has outlined is OK for you.

Have a look at the links below for more information.

Often the waste gate shaft can be loosened up with lots of effort and soaking with lubricants.

The 'spider' thing may be the drive coupler behind the engine. If something has jammed the jet pump, I supposed it could have damaged the coupler.

The jet pump itself may need repair. That is not difficult, and parts are generally interchangeable with other years and models.

At a minimum, I would want to check compression before making a purchase decision. Do you know how many hours are on the replacement engine?

Since the jet pump seems to be jammed, you may need to remove the pump in order to allow the engine to start and run.

Make sure you put it in reverse before starting it on the trailer. These turbo engines tend to high-rev when started out of the water without a load on the impeller. Reverse engages a 3500RPM limiter, which also protects the engine when started out of the water.

Have a look here for more info;
    Polaris MSX 150, MSX 110

So far, it sounds like you will need to;
    - Remove the jet pump, and possibly repair or replace damaged parts
    - Replace all or parts of the drive coupler
    - Repair the wastegate

- You should also rebuild the through-hull bearing carrier. This is easy to do while the drive shaft is removed from the hull.

The Weber engine can be expensive if it has internal damage. That said, when they are running well, owners tend to really enjoy them. They sip fuel, provide good power, and the MSX hull has good ride characteristics.

There is even the option of having the engine computer reprogrammed for increased power and top speed.

the waste gate problem sounds like the common problem with these of it seizing up so that can usally be fixed with some elbow grease. The other problem has me a little worried. Are you talking about the jet pump or the oil pump or something?

Quote Originally Posted by burton9010 View Post
    the waste gate problem sounds like the common problem with these of it seizing up so that can usally be fixed with some elbow grease. The other problem has me a little worried. Are you talking about the jet pump or the oil pump or something?
    I am talking about the jet jump. He said where the crank shaft connects to the out drive.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk

Where are you located?

Things to consider when buying a Polaris MSX 110 or MSX 150

Do you plan on doing you own repairs and maintenance?

These Weber engines are time consuming and expensive to rebuild, so you need to decide if the risk of more problems than the seller has outlined is OK for you.

Have a look at the links below for more information.

Often the waste gate shaft can be loosened up with lots of effort and soaking with lubricants.

The 'spider' thing may be the drive coupler behind the engine. If something has jammed the jet pump, I supposed it could have damaged the coupler.

The jet pump itself may need repair. That is not difficult, and parts are generally interchangeable with other years and models.

At a minimum, I would want to check compression before making a purchase decision. Do you know how many hours are on the replacement engine?

Since the jet pump seems to be jammed, you may need to remove the pump in order to allow the engine to start and run.

Make sure you put it in reverse before starting it on the trailer. These turbo engines tend to high-rev when started out of the water without a load on the impeller. Reverse engages a 3500RPM limiter, which also protects the engine when started out of the water.

Have a look here for more info;
    Polaris MSX 150, MSX 110

So far, it sounds like you will need to;
    - Remove the jet pump, and possibly repair or replace damaged parts
    - Replace all or parts of the drive coupler
    - Repair the wastegate

- You should also rebuild the through-hull bearing carrier. This is easy to do while the drive shaft is removed from the hull.

The Weber engine can be expensive if it has internal damage. That said, when they are running well, owners tend to really enjoy them. They sip fuel, provide good power, and the MSX hull has good ride characteristics.

There is even the option of having the engine computer reprogrammed for increased power and top speed.

WOW, great info. I am located in central Jersey. I am new to working on pwc's but I have been working on quads, dirtbikes, and cars my whole life. The ski runs and idles great. Like you said it must be the coupler that is connected to the rear of the engine that is broken. He called it a spider gear and said that it broke while he was in the water. As far as the waste gate goes it is broken off where the actuator meets the flap for the exhaust to bypass the turbo. He does have the part so thats one less headache for me to track down. What parts will I need to repair and rebuild the pump? Also where can I hunt down parts for the pump?

+1
    Welcome to the hulk..

There are many places to get parts.
    I like
    http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/...4/Polaris.aspx

Others like http://www.partspitstop.com/

Thanks for the links beerdart.

The new motor has 60 hours on it. The ski has been garage stored year round and he has all of the service records.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ManOverBoard21 View Post
    ...The ski runs and idles great.

Like you said it must be the coupler that is connected to the rear of the engine that is broken. He called it a spider gear and said that it broke while he was in the water.

As far as the waste gate goes it is broken off where the actuator meets the flap for the exhaust to bypass the turbo. He does have the part so that's one less headache for me to track down.

What parts will I need to repair and rebuild the pump?
    Also where can I hunt down parts for the pump?
    How do you know it runs well if you cannot ride it, or even put a load on the engine?
    Compression numbers?

Post up some clear photos of the damaged areas.

Tip: Reply in Advanced Mode, scroll down to Manage Attachments. Add your photos, and finish your post, then click Preview. When it is all good, click Submit.

Until you pull the jet pump off and do an inspection, we can't tell you what parts you will need. Except for the drive coupler and drive shaft, jet pump parts are mostly interchangeable between many years and models of Polaris PWC.

The waste-gate repair may be straightforward, or not. Clear and close up pictures might help. Use close-up mode on your camera (flower icon).

PWC Resources

Polaris PWC Parts Sources

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    How do you know it runs well if you cannot ride it, or even put a load on the engine?
    Compression numbers?

Post up some clear photos of the damaged areas.

Tip: Reply in Advanced Mode, scroll down to Manage Attachments. Add your photos, and finish your post, then click Preview. When it is all good, click Submit.

Until you pull the jet pump off and do an inspection, we can't tell you what parts you will need. Except for the drive coupler and drive shaft, jet pump parts are mostly interchangeable between many years and models of Polaris PWC.

The waste-gate repair may be straightforward, or not. Clear and close up pictures might help. Use close-up mode on your camera (flower icon).

PWC Resources

Polaris PWC Parts Sources

I am planning on buying it tomorrow. What psi should a healthy motor have?

+1
    You will need to realign the engine to the pump. Other than loose missing engine mountings this is most likley the reason for the coupling failure. Might not have been done well enough when the engine was repaired.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information