FS 2000 Yamaha GPR Triple piped

This is my buddies GPR he has for sale he doesnt ride it anymore so he would like to sell it. This boat is very clean barely was ever used.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/1551622605.html

He lives my me.............. I'm in Warren, Tell your friend I would like to see it............Can I call him on that number? Frank

Quote Originally Posted by peteshauling View Post
    He lives my me.............. I'm in Warren, Tell your friend I would like to see it............Can I call him on that number? Frank
    Yup give him a call hes probably not working today

Called him and going to see te ski............

+1
    That's a 2001 not 2000.
    Frank, make sure this ski has a title.

Went and looked at te ski, the ski looks nice, been rebuilt before I think,cause one of the heads is new. 1200 tripple it is, but I think it was built wrong. I think the carbs were jetted wrong, and no mods done to it. Some kind of electrical problem, I checked the fuses, the yellow was blown, went to put in another as soon as it touched it blew, so I made an offer and waiting. It might have been to low, but thats all I can afford right now. He has my number...........hope he calls

Quote Originally Posted by peteshauling View Post
    Went and looked at te ski, the ski looks nice, been rebuilt before I think,cause one of the heads is new. 1200 tripple it is, but I think it was built wrong. I think the carbs were jetted wrong, and no mods done to it. Some kind of electrical problem, I checked the fuses, the yellow was blown, went to put in another as soon as it touched it blew, so I made an offer and waiting. It might have been to low, but thats all I can afford right now. He has my number...........hope he calls
    Why do you say it was built wrong and why do you think the carbs are jetted wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Rheeder218 View Post
    Why do you say it was built wrong and why do you think the carbs are jetted wrong?
    Well don't get me wrong..........the ski looks nice, but compared to my tripple, different. 1st I seen two lines to each head, and only one line comming in fromthe pump. num1 cyl plug looked lean. Why do I think jetting was wrong. he has a newer head than the other two, that says it was rebuilt, he told me this also. You have to know what your doing when it comes to carbs, I'm no tuner, but I can take apart and build. why I know cause I had the same set up yrs ago, I wanted Dean from Deans Team to build it for me when he was in Indiana, he had no time after he had my ski for a YEAR! So he recommend a guy in MI to me well long story short, he did shit wrong to my ski and it blew up. I still like the ski I jus can't give him what he wants.

+1

Plan for the bad

Best thing to do is plan for the worst case scenario....
    I bought a Riva Stage 3 Triple back in Oct/Nov too cold to ride!!!! (it looks like the sister to the one on craigslist). Heck of a deal, really cheap as the thing is super clean on the outside but needed a lot of cleaning on the inside. Even came with a Triton alum trailer.
    It cranked, idled okay so no major issues , right? Main thing I was concerned about was compression...Gage showed 130# across all three so I was not too worried.

Instead of going out for a quick ride I just decided to pull everyhting apart this winter to go through it all. Glad I did just that. I found the front crank bearing cage fingers had started to break off....it appears one small piece had went through intake and chipped a smalll section of the piston which put a small chip in the nickasil. I'm pretty sure I can get by with just a piston and replate. The other two cylinders are perfect, but looks like # 3 piston has went through a few heat cycles as that piston needs to be replaced.

The block looks like it is perfect and has no scratch marks at all.

The RAD light weight flywheel seems to rub on the stator windings so I need to check that out. Probably not an issue at all....

All of the triple pipe brackets were loose and the o-rings were so weak the interior was coverd in oily residue and aluminum dusting. I want the inside to be as clean as the outside, so it is all coming apart.

Pulled the carbs and jetting looks to be okay, so should be good to go there.

Don't get me wrong here...I am totally satisfied with the deal I got, but put some time in making sure every thing is ready to ride.

If I had put it in the water, I am pretty sure it would have grenaded on me pretty quick.

Get it cheap....pull it apart, fix it and then you will know what you really have.

Good luck!

Thread Information