Thread: SBT cranks.

+1

SBT cranks.

Do they use chinese bearings in thier cranks when they send you a motor?

I would bet SBT would use the same bearings regardless of whether they are selling a crank or a complete engine.

On the subject of China... I think most items we consume comes from "west" of California these days. Like it or not...

Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    Do they use chinese bearings in thier cranks when they send you a motor?
    I've had the opportunity to examine two SBT cranks (one from an SBT rebuilt engine) and both had bearings labeled as "Made in China". However, a majority of bearings are made there. I recentley purchased FAG brand bearings which were known as quality "German made " bearings and they were made in China. I went to their web site and found that they had invested hundreds of millions into a new manufacturing plant in China. So, it doesn't mean bearings made in China aren't any good.

The real problem with SBT isn't the bearings, but rather the quality of the assembly...loose press fits, runout, not indexed perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    The real problem with SBT isn't the bearings, but rather the quality of the assembly...loose press fits, runout, not indexed perfectly.
    Because I was curious, I did check the runout on one of the SBT cranks and it was under .001 which isn't to shabby. Of course, that doesn't mean they are all that way.

Can you explain further why you think loose press fit is an issue with SBT cranks?

Quote Originally Posted by Hayabusa View Post
    Because I was curious, I did check the runout on one of the SBT cranks and it was under .001 which isn't to shabby. Of course, that doesn't mean they are all that way.

Can you explain further why you think loose press fit is an issue with SBT cranks?
    .001" is pretty dang good, I'll admit. I'm honestly surprised! Was that at the PTO end? I've worked on more than one engine that was an "SBT Reman" or used an SBT crank. When I sent the crank to a crank guy I use, he said, "where did this POS come from...it took less than 5 tons to press the wheels off"...heard that reply twice. I'm not here to bash SBT, even though I don't like them...I see it as a case of "you get what you pay for". If people are in a bind and need a cheap crank, i tell them to get an SBT...but for guys who are going to ride the ski hard, I send them to the guy I use, crankworks, or Sharps...

.001" is pretty dang good, I'll admit. I'm honestly surprised! Was that at the PTO end? I've worked on more than one engine that was an "SBT Reman" or used an SBT crank. When I sent the crank to a crank guy I use, he said, "where did this POS come from...it took less than 5 tons to press the wheels off"...heard that reply twice. I'm not here to bash SBT, even though I don't like them...I see it as a case of "you get what you pay for". If people are in a bind and need a cheap crank, i tell them to get an SBT...but for guys who are going to ride the ski hard, I send them to the guy I use, crankworks, or Sharps...
    I didn't think you were bashing SBT and like you, I was also surprised by the runout which by the way, was measured at the PTO end. Regarding the less than 5 tons to press the wheels off, I'm not sure how it could be SBT fault. New rods come with new crank pins so unless the pins are under size or the hole in the web was larger than factory spec, the pressure needed to take the crank pins out should be similar to any other rebuilt crank. If your crank guy was talking about the pressure required to separate the webs from each other, those are machined to size at the factory and I have never seen a need to machine them in order to do a rebuild. My experience has been that it doesn't take all that much pressure (guessing 5-10 tons) to remove the pins but it does take a whole lot more (20-30 tons) to seperate the webs from each other. Some Polaris cranks are known for not requiring all that much pressure to press apart so, some rebuilders will use loctite to help keep the crank from twisting.

These were both Fuji cranks, which fit a little looser than the domestics, from what I've been told. He was talking about the webs...I call them webs/wheels interchangeably, right or wrong. The guy is Dan from Indyspecialties...if you're a Polaris snowmobiler, you've more than likely heard of him.

Do you do Polaris crank work yourself? If so, it's nice to have someone nearby...

These were both Fuji cranks, which fit a little looser than the domestics, from what I've been told. He was talking about the webs...I call them webs/wheels interchangeably, right or wrong. The guy is Dan from Indyspecialties...if you're a Polaris snowmobiler, you've more than likely heard of him.

Do you do Polaris crank work yourself? If so, it's nice to have someone nearby...

PM sent.

Thread Information