2000 RX Hull Damage

Whats up guys. Long time reader, first time poster. I aquired this 2000 RX very cheap. Long story short....a guy was in bad need of money. The ski runs fantastic but has some hull damage. I will admit it.....I am totally stupid when it comes to gel coat & fiberglass repair. The whole botom of the ski is scratched up pretty bad(could probably be buffed out) except for two areas near the front of the ski. I have pictured these below. I am planning on flipping the ski and and refinishing the whole bottom to look like new. What repairs would you make to "damaged" areas? I realize the color is in the gel coat, but can you scuff and repaint the bottom with some kind of heavy duty paint? Thanks for any help you can provide. Gotta get this baby ready for the season!

+1
    You can patch & paint it , but the paint won't be as durable or forgiving as gel coat. The damaged areas can easily be repaired with fiberglass & polyester resin. Only use epoxy if you're sure it'll never be sprayed with gel coat - it won't stick to epoxy.

I prefer to use gel coat for repairs like this. It's easy to apply and in the long run cheaper than good paint. All you need is gel coat, styrene, hardener, and wax or PVA to let it cure.

There are lots of sites for mat'l and info. Try these first:

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/technicalinfo.htm
    http://blog.bottompaintstore.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    You can patch & paint it , but the paint won't be as durable or forgiving as gel coat. The damaged areas can easily be repaired with fiberglass & polyester resin. Only use epoxy if you're sure it'll never be sprayed with gel coat - it won't stick to epoxy.

I prefer to use gel coat for repairs like this. It's easy to apply and in the long run cheaper than good paint. All you need is gel coat, styrene, hardener, and wax or PVA to let it cure.

There are lots of sites for mat'l and info. Try these first:

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/technicalinfo.htm
    http://blog.bottompaintstore.com/
    Thanks for the reply Ziggy. I am checking out those links now. The hole bottom of the ski looks really bad. I dont think I could re-gel coat the entire bottom. What I will probably do is repair the areas with coat like yo mentioned and then paint the whole bottom of the ski. I know this may sound stupid.....but I have heard of people putting like an 1/8'' or 1/16'' of Line-X or Rhyno lining sprayed smooth. What do you think...I have got to get this bottom whole bottom refinsihed some way or another. Thanks!

+1
    Why don't you want to gel the entire bottom? Whatever you can paint you can gel coat, and you don't need primer, so blending is not so bad.

Forget the Rhino liner. Not a good idea. Just keep it off the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Why don't you want to gel the entire bottom? Whatever you can paint you can gel coat, and you don't need primer, so blending is not so bad.

Forget the Rhino liner. Not a good idea. Just keep it off the rocks.
    I was under the impression that a "do it your selfer" couldnt do a complete refinish on the bottom with gel coat. I would love to re gel coat the bottom! I have a compressor and spray gun.....dont you have to have special equipment to spray gel coat? I dont think you can roll or brush it on......but I am not sure. Enlighten me Ziggy....you the man haha.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyF250Guy View Post
    I was under the impression that a "do it your selfer" couldnt do a complete refinish on the bottom with gel coat. That's what I am, and I've done several. I would love to re gel coat the bottom! I have a compressor and spray gun.....dont you have to have special equipment to spray gel coat? Nope, just a fairly large tip, like for heavy primer. I dont think you can roll or brush it on......but I am not sure. Don't want to do that! Enlighten me Ziggy....you the man haha.
    There's nothing mystical about gel coat, in fact it's far simpler than many of today's multi-stage paints. To do a whole bottom you just repair the damage with polyester resin, sand it to 360, shoot the gel to about 0.018" film thickness, cover with PVA, and let it cure. Next day peel or wash off the PVA, sand to 1200 until the orange peel is gone, and buff with 2 or 3 stages of compound. This is just hitting the highlights, of course, but if you can paint, you can gel coat.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyF250Guy View Post
    Thanks for the reply Ziggy. I am checking out those links now. The hole bottom of the ski looks really bad.
    If the entire bottom is in bad shape and has surface damage or cracks, you should probably get the complete bottom refinished with Gelcoat; there are some people who have gotten water in one of those cracks and had the whole surface peel back and delaminate at high speed; do some searches on here about "delaminating."

+1
    That may look bad but it is not exceptional. The older hulls (pre-2003) were not as bad about the delamination as they were all glass and not the foam core sandwich but it is still a concern). Depending on your own feelings the cosmetic aspects of the bottom it may or may not be a big deal how it looks but you do want protect the glass from the water.

These guys are on the money as it is not all that hard to do yourself. If you are not comfortable with it then get a couple of estimates from the local boat places. Now is the time to get it done if you are in the northern hemisphere.

Either way, get something over those spots before she hits the H2O again.

+1
    You can buy little spray bottles with a canister of propellent to spray the PVA onto the hull after you gelcoat it!. The PVA helps the gelcoat cure by making a "shield" to hold the heat in so it can cure.. it comes off easily with water after..

Then sand with 400 to knock down the overspray or orange peel and then go to 600, 1000 and 1200 or 1500 if your arms or sander holds out! lol..

Then apply finesse-it by 3M with a wheel and rub it out till it looks like glass! then wax with carnuba to finish.. wow what a finish! Now your ready for the lake!

Hmmm. since its already going to be sanded down,,,how about truing the hull too? Theres threads here about that too.

Thats basically sanding down the back third of the ski where it rides on the water and sanding with a straight board taking the wavyness out of the production mold that made the hull. They are never perfect.

Sand it all down, spray black spray paint as a guide coat onto it. Lightly! not black.lol Then sand it down with 320 and you'll see where the hull is getting sanded and where its not. Sand untill all is even.

You should do this anyways if your painting the entire bottom! I would for sure. Just sand the back third with 320, then the rest with 400. then of course, 400 the back after the hull is straight before shooting the gelcoat.

You can sand the edges of the strakes and back of the hull to points. Don't sand too crazy or else youll burn thru. Just get it sharper than usual. the ski will track better and be a tad faster from the hull being smooth n flat.

Thread Information