+1

Head Cover Paint

For those of you that have painted your valve cover, what kind of paint did you use?

I'm painting those plastic pieces and I want to get rid of that stock yellow on the head cover.

Not really trying to get it powdercoated, but I guess that's an option.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0789.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	171102  

Dont do it. I was going to paint the yellow one we have purple to match Christina's ski. The powdercoating from rotax is very hard to get off. Ive been through two cans of stripper and I even tried sandblasting it at Beerdart's shop. Its turning into a lot of work for nothing. Im just going to put a black one on it and call it a day.

I think the easiest way to do it is to have a professional powdercoat it. Send it to him as-is and have him take care of all of the prep and etc. It will break your balls otherwise.

Someone may come in and challenge me and say they did it with less difficulty but Im speaking from my own experience. You can even ask Beerdart. Two cans of stripper and nothing happened and then the powdercoating only took off what was already loose.

If you find a way to strip it all off easier than we did you can use any type of quality paint. It doesnt get hot enough to require high-heat paint.

+1
    Cool. Ok thanks for the info. I'll call the powercoater in my area and see what the damage would be. If it's not crazy, I'll do it. I'm trying to focus on the small details now. I think this would look good if it's done right.

+1
    I Stripped mine with just Aircraft remover from Wal-Mart and a scraper (that same yellow).

Spray painted it with Rustoleum black and had zero issues for an entire season.

+1
    hmm interesting. I might give it a shot for a bit and see how it goes. We'll see how adventerous I'm feeling.

I got a black one on ebay for $30 shipped. Do you want my yellow one? You can have it for free if you pay shipping. Then you have one to experiment with. LMK.

Shipping is going to be around 15 bucks. I have to wait until I have this one in-hand but after that, its yours.

It is 50% stripped already.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by twelvesorbetter View Post
    I got a black one on ebay for $30 shipped. Do you want my yellow one? You can have it for free if you pay shipping. Then you have one to experiment with. LMK.

Shipping is going to be around 15 bucks. I have to wait until I have this one in-hand but after that, its yours.

It is 50% stripped already.
    Ok cool, I'll take if from you. Let me know when you're ready to send it out and I'll get you the money.

Thanks Jim.

Thread Information