Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Intake grate

+1

Intake grate

I am almost finished putting my pro 1200 back together thanks to the fine members who helped me get a driveshaft and coupler I needed. Thanks again, my last two things I need to put on is the ride plate and intake grate. The grate that came off was a worx but I found a r&d and was wondering if it would work better. I attached a pic of them.

+1
    yes the R&D is better

Sorry to hijack the thread but what benifits of changing the grate and a ride plate are there??

Would my 780 be better for these mods??

thanks
    Neil

that r&d looks way aggresive possibly killing the top speed by at least 2-3 mph . but it would keep it planted ,

if you wanna go fast go with the one on the right or use the stocker

neil your slt is pretty nose heavy i would go with a pump wedge before going with a grate i think you dont have a wedge on the slt780 and if thats the case a 2* or 4* wedge will do just fine

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread but what benifits of changing the grate and a ride plate are there??

Would my 780 be better for these mods??

thanks
    Neil
    Cliffy, check out this thread.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116622

It'll show you most, if not all intake grates and ride plates ever made for the Polaris.

Please disregard what Bone said. Your SLT 780 has the extended jet pump , that already has the 4* wedge installed.

Also the R&D intake on the left of the above picture ^^^^ is from a PRO SLX 785, so it will not hurt top speed much, if any.

To summerize it for you, a performance ride plate can help the ski plane faster (better acceleration) and give better handling. Can also help in rough water top speed by reducing porpoising depending on model.

A performance intake grate can help keep the pump hooked up better in rough water, as well as aid in keeping it "planted" in the water.

If you ride in flat water, the stock grate works best. But if you ride in any type of chop, the R&D Aquavane for the 650 or PRO 785 one works best in balancing sure footed grip and loss of top speed.

You need to remember you often give up one area of performance for a gain in another.

An overly aggressive intake grate will give you great hook up, but at the expense of top speed. Maybe 2-3 MPH reduction in smooth water.

BUT, if you're riding rough water, you'll never be able to run WOT. So a gain in the bottom end would be fine.

thanks for explaining that xlint ,

if you look on the back of the ski you will see your pump and nozzle a wedge pitches the nozzle up it will be thin on one side ( this is a seadoo pump but same idea applies ) https://www.wamiltons.com/images/rs23050_with_pump.gif , i bought my ski and the original owner didnt even use one so i had to buy a stock 4 and 6 degree wedge .

i also found a r&d grate on it already ( so i had to buy a stock grate )

http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/f...kiparts014.jpg < stock grate

i would say run both intake grates i mean they are pretty cheap little thing you can do to your craft you can buy em for 60-120 $
    an keep em and trade em along the way

i have a r/d like that but with out the middle bar it , it loads up for sure http://www.rd-performance.com/images.../114-65100.jpg

Cheers guys makes sense now, I'm suprised how many varations there r.

So the way I understand it is that it depends on where ur using the ski ie sea or lake and that affects how the plates/ grates react

cheers guys
    neil

+1
    Use the R&D...no speed loss.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Yes Cliffy.

Set your ski up for the conditions you ride most of the time.

No sense in making your ski a top speed boat if you ride in 3-4' waves most of the time.

Opposite is true as well. No need to install a scoop type grate that rides flat water most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Yes Cliffy.

Set your ski up for the conditions you ride most of the time.

No sense in making your ski a top speed boat if you ride in 3-4' waves most of the time.

Opposite is true as well. No need to install a scoop type grate that rides flat water most of the time.
    i think it will get manily sea use ut if im gonna rid eon the lake ill swap the grate over etc

ok best place to buy a grate??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information