Leaking injectors

I purchased a 2002 Virage i with 46 hours run time, probably was not stored correctly, that has leaking injectors. Can I clean them, should they be replaced, or can they be rebuilt?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    In what area are you seeing leaks?

These Ficht fuel injectors must be clamped onto the cylinder head for any testing. Out of the head, they will spew fuel around the tip.

Can you post photos of the problem?

Have you looked here?
    Polaris Ficht Fuel Injected Engines

I recently purchased this ski with the understanding it had no spark. Before I purchased I ran compression test and checked spark with a timing light and could not detect spark. I had 130 psi on both cylinders so I went ahead and purchased ski. Before I got time to sart testing and checking codes I was able to get it to a local Polaris shop for testing. The tech said that every thing checked out OK but that the injectors were leaking fuel it the cylinder, dribbling fuel constantly, causing the new plugs to fowl. Tech said it would try to start then just crank. I was told that I might try cleaning the injectors to see if anything changed.
    The shop did not have the soft ware for communication with EMM.
    At this point I have ski back and was going to start through the test procedures I found at this forum?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsupa View Post
    ...The tech said that every thing checked out OK but that the injectors were leaking fuel [into] the cylinder, dribbling fuel constantly, causing the new plugs to foul.

Tech said it would try to start then just crank.

I was told that I might try cleaning the injectors to see if anything changed.

The shop did not have the software for communication with EMM.

At this point I have ski back and was going to start through the test procedures I found at this forum?
    Sounds like the Service Tech was not familiar with the Ficht system.

I suppose it is possible, but seems unlikely that both injectors would develop leaks at the same time. Ficht injector failures in general tend to be rather rare.

These Ficht injectors must be clamped into the cylinder head when the fuel lines are pressurized. If the fuel pump is run with the injectors not clamped down, they will dribble or even spray fuel from around the injector tip, not through the actual tip.

If there is excessive carbon build-up on the surface of the injector tips, you can clean it off using a solvent. Carbon on the tip should not affect the starting, or even the running, of the engine.

There should be no need to pull the injector tips out of the injectors. There is a fine mesh screen in there, but it normally stays quite clean.

What MAY be missing or out of position are the chunky large O-Rings that sit on top of the injector body, right under the top of the metal injector brackets.

When the injector bracket is bolted down, it is the O-ring that actually presses the injector against the cylinder head. Without the O-ring in place, there is no clamping pressure on the injector, and it will leak fuel into and around the cylinder head opening.

There is no O-ring where the injector fits into the cylinder head. That is a precision metal-to-metal seal, using the pressure on the injector body from the bracket and O-ring to create the tip seal.

It is also important that the injector tip be properly positioned and centered in the cylinder head mounting hole. The injector bolts need to be tightened evenly, and torqued to spec. Do not over tighten these bolts.

My suspicion is that the injectors are just fine (as long as those large O-rings are actually in place).

No spark is a different discussion, and has nothing to do with the injectors.

Make sure the battery voltage remains strong while the engine is cranking. If it is not, you will chase your tail trying to figure out what is going on. Put your meter on the battery, and crank the engine. Voltage MUST stay above 10.5 volts.

Also make sure the safety lanyard is in place. No lanyard means no spark.

Work through the Ficht diagnostics, especially checking the 45 volt White/Red wiring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7290696.JPG 
Views:	225 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	171225   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7230570.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	171226   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7230558.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	171227  

Thank you for the input. I had problems with injector problems as the ski has only 46 hours on it. Is there any reason that I would not be able to check for spark with a standard 12V induction timing light? I will go through all the tests I can as layed out in this forum and factory service manual and then come back with questions or results, Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsupa View Post
    ...I had problems with injector problems as the ski has only 46 hours on it.

Is there any reason that I would not be able to check for spark with a standard 12V induction timing light?
    Sure you can use a timing light.

Or you can just unplug a spark wire, hook up a spare spark plug, make sure the plug shell is grounded to the engine, and watch the plug gap for spark.

When the Ficht system is firing the plugs, it is a fairly strong spark.

Be careful when cranking the engine with no spark. If the injectors are firing and the spark plugs are not, you will end up with fuel accumulating in the exhaust system. When you do get it to start, you don't want to blow the exhaust system to pieces with a massive backfire

It has happened to others on here. Just crank it enough to do your testing, then stop cranking.

If the 45 volt White/Red wires don't have 20+ volts, the injectors won't be flowing fuel, even if the fuel pump is delivering fuel pressure.

I will retest for spark, thank you for your input.

Thread Information