Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

wouldn't it be cool if...........

I was thinking it would be nice to have a red and green handle bar grip mounted battery powered Nav Light system where the thing is twisted to go on and off. It could slide into or around the handle bar ends somehow. Then if you had a velcro'd white light strapped to the aft grab bar you'd be good to go at night. I'm sure it'd sell like hot cakes to prevent getting ticketed during a late return or when floating around watching the fireworks. You heard it here first

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Some States have laws that prevent you from operating a PWC from sunset to sunrise. North Carolina is one of them. What state are you in?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rotortiller View Post
    I was thinking it would be nice to have a red and green handle bar grip mounted battery powered Nav Light system where the thing is twisted to go on and off. It could slide into or around the handle bar ends somehow. Then if you had a velcro'd white light strapped to the aft grab bar you'd be good to go at night. I'm sure it'd sell like hot cakes to prevent getting ticketed during a late return or when floating around watching the fireworks. You heard it here first
    Really? I thought I heard it here first http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ght=nav+lights

Or maybe here http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ght=nav+lights

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Just found this article at boatsville.com They count all the American territories as states so there are more than 50. They didn't have any info backing it up so no idea on how reliable. This is the statement that caught my attention, "Fifty states prohibit use of PWC's during some time of the day or night.". http://www.boatsville.com/boating_ar...al_Watercraft/

Maybe this can end all the threads about "idiots*" wanting nav lights for their ski's.

*I consider anyone who would want to willingly operate a PWC at night an idiot. Mudbug events excluded and if you ride with the Fountain Boys expect it to be "low light conditions" before they return to the ramp.

+1
    In Pennsylvania, you have to be off the water with a PWC between sunset and sunrise. Sunset is dictated by time not light conditions.

This is a copy of the sunset chart for PA from the boating handbook. I keep a laminated copy of this on my ski in the event I get pulled over by an under-educated water cop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunset time.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	171221  

Really? I thought I heard it here first
    I'm talking specifically about installing a simple self powered system into the handle bar grips for ease of installation. I did not claim to invent LEDs or a nav system for PWCs. Guys shouldn't ride at night but if you want float around or troll slowly in a familiar well lit area why not. Some people shouldn't carry sharp objects either. The answer is not to make a blanket law and impose narrow minded minded thinking. If I want to bob off the shore line to watch the fireworks with other moored boats what is the big deal. After wards I'll troll my way to shore. I have seen such a setup used on motorcycles, just cannot remember where. Some areas allow PWCs to be used at night with correct lighting. What is the difference between this and a small speed boat bobbing or slowly manouvering around. The world does not constitute one country either, although some in here. seem to think so.
    My area and country offers no night PWC restrictions provided it is lit to the regs.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rotortiller View Post
    ...My area and country offers no night PWC restrictions provided it is lit to the regs.
    What area and country are you located in?

Update your Profile.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    Just found this article at boatsville.com They count all the American territories as states so there are more than 50. They didn't have any info backing it up so no idea on how reliable. This is the statement that caught my attention, "Fifty states prohibit use of PWC's during some time of the day or night.". http://www.boatsville.com/boating_ar...al_Watercraft/

Maybe this can end all the threads about "idiots*" wanting nav lights for their ski's.

*I consider anyone who would want to willingly operate a PWC at night an idiot. Mudbug events excluded and if you ride with the Fountain Boys expect it to be "low light conditions" before they return to the ramp.
    i dont see the difference between taking a boat at night or taking a jet ski at night. you can make the same mistakes on a boat as you could a a jetski. its just about being smart and taking it easy. i never do more then an idle at night with the boat.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray152003 View Post
    i dont see the difference between taking a boat at night or taking a jet ski at night. you can make the same mistakes on a boat as you could a a jetski.

its just about being smart and taking it easy. i never do more then an idle at night with the boat.
    Well, if you get lost or have engine or other trouble in a boat, you have the option of throwing out an anchor, laying down on the floor, and waiting until morning or help arrives. You can even sleep in a boat, even a skiff.

On a PWC, you must stay awake and alert, lest you fall off into the dark water. Bumping into something in the dark on a ski is more likely to dump you in the water than from a boat. Not withstanding the stability of modern PWC, the rules were made when it was much easier to capsize a ski than a boat.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray152003 View Post
    i dont see the difference between taking a boat at night or taking a jet ski at night. you can make the same mistakes on a boat as you could a a jetski. its just about being smart and taking it easy. i never do more then an idle at night with the boat.
    The differences are all those extra safety features that boats have that the USCG gives an exemption to PWC's for not having.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information