Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Powershot with stock SC ?????

Has anybody fitted the powershot to a stock ski to see what the stock SC wheel is capable of.
    Basically using the powershot to up the boost limiter.

+1
    Powershot doesn't advance timing or raise the RPM limiter so it will do nothing on a stock ski.

I believe Tommy Jordan even tried it and made the ski run worse with the presets from R&D

+1
    When you say" stock ski" Do you mean crate stock? or with air filter, free flow exhaust and manifold ribbon taken out.

It makes a big difference. When my ski was crate stock. The airflow was restricted enough to keep the boost under 7psi. Once the air filter,free flow and manifold upgrade were added. It easily hit the 7psi limiter.

Due to the air restrictions. I don't think a powershot and the new 10psi limiter on a crate stock ski will ever come in to play.

Now what would be cool to see is a ski with the basic stage 1(air filter,free flow,manifold upgrade) tested with a powershot and a boost gauge to see what the stock wheel can put out max.

I cant recall anyone ever testing it since most people go up to the C-1, c-3 or B-1 wheel at same time as installing powershot.

+1
    I'll wait for Tommy to chime in but his ski had the basic stuff, air, exhaust, mani, etc and he took the powershot off because it did no good. Never got a boost limiter with those mods on Bobs ski.

+1
    I guess I shouldn't say stock ski I should say stock SC wheel.

Lets say you take and add the basics and go with a powershot.

Powershot
    Air intake
    FF
    Ribbon delete

With those items they ski will breathe and definitely be on the boost limiter?????
    So by adding the powershot that would give you the ability to hit the stock SC full boost, whatever that is?

Just looking for the most out of the ski with retaining the stock wheel.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedJunky View Post

Powershot
    Air intake
    FF
    Ribbon delete

With those items they ski will breathe and definitely be on the boost limiter?????
    So by adding the powershot that would give you the ability to hit the stock SC full boost, whatever that is?

I don't think so. Oldmans ski never saw the boost limiter with those mods and the ski ran 74.3 mph. I'm almost 100% positive Tommy Jordan tried the powershot with those mods and took it right back off because it did nothing for him except make the ski run rich. Those mods don't add nearly as much boost as people think they do. Same with the Seadoo's and removing the filter in the manifold, the whole 1 pound of boost thing was bologna.

+1
    Thanks for the info, hopefully Mr Jordan chimes in.

Quote Originally Posted by MPower View Post
    I don't think so. Oldmans ski never saw the boost limiter with those mods and the ski ran 74.3 mph. I'm almost 100% positive Tommy Jordan tried the powershot with those mods and took it right back off because it did nothing for him except make the ski run rich. Those mods don't add nearly as much boost as people think they do. Same with the Seadoo's and removing the filter in the manifold, the whole 1 pound of boost thing was bologna.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedJunky View Post

Powershot
    Air intake
    FF
    Ribbon delete

Yeah, it makes a difference. I tested it with those mods + the IC cooling kit & stock SC & got a 1mph gain over my best previous speed, just slapping it on my ski without tuning it. It did put me into the rev limiter, so there might've been a little more had I used a taller prop. I didn't do a back to back test. The mods I had were making ~8psi boost, so the PS bumped up my boost by 1psi from the 7psi limiter in high 60's air. BTW, 2 days later when the temps were in the 80's, my ski started to bog badly on top end because the fuel presets were too rich, so I removed it until I installed my C1 & upgraded IC core.

+1
    OK, so from what i've just read. The powershot with the stock wheel and air mods allows it to get to 8psi, but that the powershot causes the ski to run rich from the added fuel for that low of a psi.

Now, for a guy that is just looking to get the most of of his stock wheel. Would using a bleed off valve like jim's with the air mods set at 6psi bleed off get you the same 8psi on the wheel w/o the added fuel?

And if so, can the stock fueling handle the additional 2psi of boost without causing it to run lean?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeGPR View Post
    OK, so from what i've just read. The powershot with the stock wheel and air mods allows it to get to 8psi, but that the powershot causes the ski to run rich from the added fuel for that low of a psi.

Now, for a guy that is just looking to get the most of of his stock wheel. Would using a bleed off valve like jim's with the air mods set at 6psi bleed off get you the same 8psi on the wheel w/o the added fuel?

And if so, can the stock fueling handle the additional 2psi of boost without causing it to run lean?
    If you don't plan on upgrading the SC in the future the PS is kind of a waste...$400+ for 1mph is pretty steep. You could probably get the same results with a bleedoff set at 7psi. However, I'm not sure how safe that would be if you don't have an AFR gauge on the ski.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information