Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Parental Controlling One Computer From Another.?

we recently got my brother a new computer because he kept on whining how he needs one for school. (even though he's only in elementary school, i'm allot older then him so i would also like to ask whether or not it is true that an elementary kid needs to us a computer for school assignments) but now after we got him one he would be online playing games day to night. so i would really like to control his time limit. can anyone tell me if it is possible to get a program (FREE) that'll have about the same fuction as this remote desktop software that allows me to control his computer from my Computer.
    Thx.

+1
    PC - Dameware or inbuilt Remote Desktop Connection

Mac - Apple Remote Desktop

Moderated
    install VNC on it, its free and gives full remote access at the console level.

i dont know if window7 will let you do this with out a domain in place but you can set user accounts in AD/Domain setup so they can only login in during certain times and certain days...but ithats a direct feature of AD which you wont have.

however i did a quick google and found the following, maybe one of these will help

http://software.informer.com/getfree...e-restriction/

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Minmin View Post
    PC - Dameware or inbuilt Remote Desktop Connection

Mac - Apple Remote Desktop
    ditto on the above^ and Izz0's post.

I have three girls and they definitely need a computer. I've seen projects for research they have done from the 3rd grade.

AOL also has time management settings and you get a report on how much time is spent, emails sent/received and websites visited.

But, to answer your question, yes they need a computer, and yes you need to monitor/manage the time.

and actually, kids today are are very computer savvy by the time they are in the 4th 5th grade just from my experience.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilyan View Post
    we recently got my brother a new computer because he kept on whining how he needs one for school. (even though he's only in elementary school, i'm allot older then him so i would also like to ask whether or not it is true that an elementary kid needs to us a computer for school assignments) but now after we got him one he would be online playing games day to night. so i would really like to control his time limit. can anyone tell me if it is possible to get a program (FREE) that'll have about the same fuction as this remote desktop software that allows me to control his computer from my Computer.
    Thx.
    BTW, welcome to the forum

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Do you want to actually watch/monitor in real time what he is doing on the computer, or simply limit what programs or web sites he is allowed to access, perhaps on a schedule?

A common problem with easy access to a computer is the consumption of large amounts of time, either using social media (Facebook, etc), or entertainment/distraction (games).

There are an number of ways to limit access to specific web sites, and block access to others. Some browsers can be configured with a 'white list' and/or 'black list' of web sites. There are add-ons and programs that can do this.

Must the solution be 'free'?

Regarding installed software, you can configure the computer with a 'User' account that is restricted so that the user may not install additional software without an 'Administrator' password. If the user does not know the administrator password, they cannot install the programs.

This has the additional benefit of reducing the odds of installing a Trojan or other bad-news malware.

Often young users (or even older users who should know better) will click on links and install software, even though the know nothing about where the link or program came from, or what it actually does.

While a 'locked down' computer can seem frustrating for someone who is used to the wide open Internet, not only is the computer less likely to become infected or unreliable, but the user will spend a lot less time on the time wasting aspects of the online world, and more time using it for something useful.

+1
    Welcome,

Check this link out, this should help a bit.

http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,2806,1639158,00.asp

You might have to lay down $50 or so, but it will be worth it. Not sure what Operating System you have but there are ways to control the time a person can be logged into the PC and the browser can be set up to control what types of websites they can get to. Curious or by mistake its real easy for a youngster to hit the wrong site.

Sounds like the first step would be to take the PC out of his room. Elementary kid playing online games day to night. Parent supervision + properly set up PC should take care of the issue.

Not sure why you would need to control or stealthy monitor his PC. That type of software is more for grown up issues!

Jim

+1
    Here is a crazy idea but it just might work. Instead of going through the trouble of getting a program to monitor the other computer, why dont you just go into his room and take the power cord to the computer? Yeah its an old school tactic but effective, I get tired of all this new age stuff. Overcomplicates things.

Quote Originally Posted by HAZE View Post
    Here is a crazy idea but it just might work. Instead of going through the trouble of getting a program to monitor the other computer, why dont you just go into his room and take the power cord to the computer? Yeah its an old school tactic but effective, I get tired of all this new age stuff. Overcomplicates things.

haha. My son got in trouble, so instead of taking his TV out of his room, I took his power cord !

In this case tho, installing software would be much easier, you can montor whenever. I need this for my oldest daughter.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Why would you join a PWC performance site to ask a computer question?

Now the easiest solution for this is to create a admin account on this computer then give the brother a user account. All he is wanting to do is limit the times that the computer can be used and a user account can be given time parameters for logging in. Problem solved.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information