+1

Unusual mod in an 09 FX SHO

Hi

I was using my mates pwc today which is a 2009 Yamaha FX SHO. I know the pwc was built in July 2008 as we saw this on a sticker from Yamaha on the side of the pwc crate, and was supplied by Bert's Mega Mall as a brand new and un-used ski..well this is what it looked like when we saw it and was what Bert's had explained to us.

Now when I took off the small rear seat where the 3rd passenger would normally sit to flush the engine on the trailer I decided to have a closer look at everything inside. I noticed something inside that looked liked it was glued in later as their was lots of grey colored glue outside the edges holding this solid plate on the floor which was towards the rear of the craft, this plate looks like some sort of strengthener made of solid plastic/fibreglass or Kevlar etc. At first I thought the glue was thick grease but I touched it to confirm what it was. It was done 5 months after the pwc was built as their was a square sticker on it with the date of 17/12/08 and under the date it stated "PLATE MOD" It is in the exact centre of the pwc possibly above the pump/tunnel area.

Can anyone shed some information on this plate mod, Is it something Yamaha did too all pwc's? Is their any negatives of this modification? I do know the pwc had 0 hours at purchase and it was in a steel crate at time of purchase and needed to be assembled as the serial numbers were taken off to obtain an insurance policy and this was done before actually purchasing it! Did this pwc have a life and owner before me at any chance?

regards,

OZFXSHO

+1
    there will be stickers inside the ski that tell you what date it was made
    don't go by what was on the crate
    i would guess that the plate mode is just a standard upgrade that was done before it left the factory

kev
    Quote Originally Posted by OZFXSHO View Post
    Hi

I was using my mates pwc today which is a 2009 Yamaha FX SHO. I know the pwc was built in July 2008 as we saw this on a sticker from Yamaha on the side of the pwc crate, and was supplied by Bert's Mega Mall as a brand new and un-used ski..well this is what it looked like when we saw it and was what Bert's had explained to us.

Now when I took off the small rear seat where the 3rd passenger would normally sit to flush the engine on the trailer I decided to have a closer look at everything inside. I noticed something inside that looked liked it was glued in later as their was lots of grey colored glue outside the edges holding this solid plate on the floor which was towards the rear of the craft, this plate looks like some sort of strengthener made of solid plastic/fibreglass or Kevlar etc. At first I thought the glue was thick grease but I touched it to confirm what it was. It was done 5 months after the pwc was built as their was a square sticker on it with the date of 17/12/08 and under the date it stated "PLATE MOD" It is in the exact centre of the pwc possibly above the pump/tunnel area.

Can anyone shed some information on this plate mod, Is it something Yamaha did too all pwc's? Is their any negatives of this modification? I do know the pwc had 0 hours at purchase and it was in a steel crate at time of purchase and needed to be assembled as the serial numbers were taken off to obtain an insurance policy and this was done before actually purchasing it! Did this pwc have a life and owner before me at any chance?

regards,

OZFXSHO

+1
    Pictures might help??

+1
    if you're referring to something like the glued-on tunnel reinforcement in this pic (it's on a FZR), it's factory.
    (swiped the pic link from another thread).

+1
    Hi

That's it. Thanks for posting the pic and making me feel a little more comfortable.

regards,

OZFXSHO

Quote Originally Posted by OZFXSHO View Post
    Hi

That's it. Thanks for posting the pic and making me feel a little more comfortable.

regards,

OZFXSHO
    Unfortunaltly if you bought it from Bert's, I'd be just as worried. Those friking clowns wanted my phone number and address when I went in there to buy some oil because I was using my debit card to pay for like 25 bucks!!! This wasn't the first time they did something that was really annoying, this was just the last straw back in July. The policies there are ridiculous, I mean seriously rediculous!
    I WILL NEVER GO BACK THERE-

Man, I like pump tunnels

Quote Originally Posted by Looped View Post
    Unfortunaltly if you bought it from Bert's, I'd be just as worried. Those friking clowns wanted my phone number and address when I went in there to buy some oil because I was using my debit card to pay for like 25 bucks!!! This wasn't the first time they did something that was really annoying, this was just the last straw back in July. The policies there are ridiculous, I mean seriously rediculous!
    I WILL NEVER GO BACK THERE-
    Why should he be worried? They just want your info to send you some stuff in the mail and to try to sell you something. Standard.

Thread Information